Do you think my processor is too hot?

Stuart

Well at stock speeds 2.9 Ghz it idles at about 40 C and load 80+ C. I have been getting BSOD's in GTA4 recently, think its due to the heat?

It used to idle 25-30 C and load 60C ish.

Cant think why it has heated up.

Thanks

Well if the fans still spinning and the temps used to be lower, do as fight club said and try a reseat.

It might be time to think of an aftermarket cooler.

Yeah, thats pretty bad. My 9950+ doesn't ever seem to go above 75C when overclocked to 2.8 or even at stock (with stock hs). Lately though, it seems to have cooled down drastically though....

I just noticed that core temp gives completely different temperatures from speed fan, coretemp- 40C now and speedfan 21C now.

I also noticed my clockspeed is jumpong all ove the place which it never used to, its jumpong between 1 Ghz and 2.9 Ghz. I know you get amd cool and quiet could that be it. ALSO i just noticed the voltage changed betwee. 1.1 and 1.3 volts

Edited by Stuart

Turn off AMD cool and quiet. AMD cq does limit the clock speed and the temps to make lower idle and light load temps. But that can also cause instability when overclocked. try turning c-q off and see what happens. And as Tacohunter said I just may just be time for a new cooling sink and fan. I know that temps like that could bsod and even worse fry the board. Along with that some of the Amd older Athlon's and phenoms would run really hot just before they started to fail. (also a bit of info I have heard) which leads me to my next questions.

How old is that Athlon 5600, what error code do you get upon BSOD, Is the thermal paste factory and did you dust it out?

Edited by boinker

Turn off AMD cool and quiet. AMD cq does limit the clock speed and the temps to make lower idle and light load temps. But that can also cause instability when overclocked. try turning c-q off and see what happens. And as Tacohunter said I just may just be time for a new cooling sink and fan. I know that temps like that could bsod and even worse fry the board. Along with that some of the Amd older Athlon's and phenoms would run really hot just before they started to fail. (also a bit of info I have heard) which leads me to my next questions.

How old is that Athlon 5600, what error code do you get upon BSOD, Is the thermal paste factory and did you dust it out?

1)A year and a half

2) driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

3)Factory paste, no dust

hope this helps

thanks