New PSU

Just picked up the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX and will be installing it in a few days(to much to do at work atm). Obvously once I get it in my system im going to want to OC it, but whats a good starting point rly. I dont want to go to high without running tests, so i was thinking about starting slow and hitting around 3.3 to 3.5ghz. Links im my sig for my current system.

What do you mean "without running tests"?

Every OC that you plan on using for long periods of time should be "stability tested" unless you fancy the possibility of inexplicable errors or corrupt data...

What do you mean "without running tests"?

Every OC that you plan on using for long periods of time should be "stability tested" unless you fancy the possibility of inexplicable errors or corrupt data...

Not really.

A tiny overclock won't need a voltage increase (around 500MHZ for dual cores and 300MHZ for quads)

What im saying is i dont want to jump right into a 4+ghz run without running tests first, since im running only air atm i dont want to take the risk of overloading the system. Although i dont see much of an issue with running my CPU at 3.5 if i dont change the volts.

Sry for the confusion, even reading it now for some reason it dose and doesnt make sense in my mind.

Edited by Blackninja543

Not really.

A tiny overclock won't need a voltage increase (around 500MHZ for dual cores and 300MHZ for quads)

Which is complete rubbish right there!

Every processor is different, meaning that some might need a voltage increase to do 200MHz, while others will OC 800MHz without voltage increase. Just upping the clock speed without testing for stability is like playing Russian roulette 24/7, the computer might crash at any time if you're unlucky. Think of you writing a long email to a good friend and it crashes in the middle of it, email gone. Worse, you do something for school/work on your computer and it crashes. Things like that make me and most other OCers on here test OCs at least 24 hours of Prime / Orthos / OCCT.

This is just not true. Most of the time, sure, but you can't say this is always the case.

Overclocks should always be stress tested. If you don't test your OC, you're -that guy- that gives OCing a bad name when things eventually go wrong and you blame OCing in general and not your own lack of follow through.

Stress testing is not hard. To willingly avoid it seems overly foolish to me. I've never seen the value in a computer that gives out wrong answers, no matter how fast it does it.

Anyway back to the origanel question at hand, with my new PSU I want to start OCing. Since i havent dosent this with this system and I only have air cooling, what is a good speed I should try and start at to begin running stress tests on my system. I was thinking around 3.3 to 3.5.

Anyway back to the origanel question at hand, with my new PSU I want to start OCing. Since i havent dosent this with this system and I only have air cooling, what is a good speed I should try and start at to begin running stress tests on my system. I was thinking around 3.3 to 3.5.

Most people don't look at it in terms of total clock speed. Most people raise the FSB in increments and test then. For example, your chip starts at 333x9 for its base clock settings. I would step it up to 340x9 and run some tests. Then, if those pass, I'd go to 345x9 and test again. Then 350x9. And so on and so on. Just small, even increments.

You should NOT be jumping 300-500mhz on your total clock between testing sessions because that big of a change can cause major crashes and just major problems in general. The idea behind small steps is that if you go up just 45mhz (5 FSB x 9) you're not making a HUGE difference, so any instability that might occur will be small and easily handled. The massive instability you'll see from a 500mhz jump can easily really mess you up and have you not even bootable at all. Then you get into the whole thing of CMOS flashes and reconfiguring your whole BIOS. What a mess. With small OC increments come small problems, and those are the kind we like.

EDIT###

Also, most people want to do things the way you do because they already have some number in their head that they think their chip will definitely make it to. You can flush that idea down the toilet :P "Definite" is not a word that reputable overclockers use when talking about figuring out OCs. Yes some guy in Bumsville probably got your same chip all the way to 4Ghz without touching any stability tests or voltages. But some other guy probably also has your chip and can't get it to be stable at 3.5Ghz no matter how much voltage he puts into it. It goes both ways and you can't let someone else's good fortune turn into assumptions about your own. Maybe it'll be the best OC'r the world's ever seen. Maybe it'll be a dud and you'll just end up running it at stock because you're so durned annoyed with how crappy the OC is. It goes both ways. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Test often :)