OS OCing i7 920

ootan

i am getting an i7 920 for my new computer and planning to overclock on an asus p6t deluxe v2. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to overclock it in the OS with turboV for easy access to stress tests, and when i get something stable that meets my goal to write down what i did and do it in the bios.

Edited by ootan

I only overclock from BIOS so I don't actually know how the in windows overclocking tools work. I'd imagine that you still have to restart anyway though.

I'd say if you want to do it the right way just overclock through the BIOS :D

There's nothing wrong with software OCing. When people rant and rave about how bad software OCing is, they're usually only basing it on hearsay.

Software OCing can save a LOT of time and effort in the initial OC testing stages on a new rig. The MOST IMPORTANT thing though is that you only use software if you understand it. If you've never OC'd before, software is probably not for you. Once you've done it a few times and you know the ropes, then it makes sense to skip the intermediate steps and get right down to business, but if it's your first time, skipping steps and hurrying can do a lot more harm than good.

There's nothing wrong with software OCing. When people rant and rave about how bad software OCing is, they're usually only basing it on hearsay.

Software OCing can save a LOT of time and effort in the initial OC testing stages on a new rig. The MOST IMPORTANT thing though is that you only use software if you understand it. If you've never OC'd before, software is probably not for you. Once you've done it a few times and you know the ropes, then it makes sense to skip the intermediate steps and get right down to business, but if it's your first time, skipping steps and hurrying can do a lot more harm than good.

so what would you recommend for someone who's never oc'ed before?

If you've never OC'd before, then you need to do a LOT of reading before you try anything, and you should certainly not be using software programs to do your OCing. Start reading the guides around here and take things slow. Don't change ANY settings until you understand what they are and what they do.

If you've never OC'd before, then you need to do a LOT of reading before you try anything, and you should certainly not be using software programs to do your OCing. Start reading the guides around here and take things slow. Don't change ANY settings until you understand what they are and what they do.

thank you, yeah for the past few weeks i have been reading loads of articles and guides to get the basics of OCing an i7. i would appreciate any other advice on how to prepare to OC.

OCIng from within windows will give you an idea where your rig can run stable. It lets you try things on the fly and as long as you dont go to crazy you can get a good baseline without goofing around in BIOS. I prefer to OC from within the BIOS because you can get the same feedback if the computer does not like something before you make it to the OS

Its a SLOW process to OC from Windows. The TubroV tool that comes with the Asus board allows for VERY MINIMAL changes at one time. You can go lie .02v for Voltages.

The AI Tweaker in the ASUS P6T Deluxe BIOS is the best way to OC.

Its a SLOW process to OC from Windows. The TubroV tool that comes with the Asus board allows for VERY MINIMAL changes at one time. You can go lie .02v for Voltages.

The AI Tweaker in the ASUS P6T Deluxe BIOS is the best way to OC.

great thanks for the advice guys, i guess i will continue to study articles and make the changes in the bios. oh btw dariuas i noticed to have the oc palm edition of the p6t deluxe and i was curious of how useful the OC palm thing is. Also i was wondering how well the domino A.L.C works

Edited by ootan