High Speed Noisy Fan in Dell

Speedfan would tell you which fan is ramping up...if it supports the motherboard :)

Why it's ramping up is a heat issue, fix that permanently, and it won't need to. My mother has a recent dell (Pentium D 3GHz) that likes to turn into a vacuum cleaner when you do something intensive.

Sounds like the computer just needs to be cleaned out. You may not even need a new fan at all. She said she cleaned out the heatsink and it made a big difference, so that's a good start. It's probably just all gummed up with dust and hair and what-not so it's getting hotter than it should. When that happens, the motherboard senses the temps are too high and it kicks the fan into gear to work harder and get the temps down.

If you blow it all out with an air compressor or canned air you'll probably be fine.

Speedfan would tell you which fan is ramping up...if it supports the motherboard :)

Why it's ramping up is a heat issue, fix that permanently, and it won't need to. My mother has a recent dell (Pentium D 3GHz) that likes to turn into a vacuum cleaner when you do something intensive.

I wish there was a way to find out if SpeedFan supports the motherboard before downloading it. It seems like the fan revved up right when I turned the computer on in the morning one day. Startled me.

Sounds like the computer just needs to be cleaned out. You may not even need a new fan at all. She said she cleaned out the heatsink and it made a big difference, so that's a good start. It's probably just all gummed up with dust and hair and what-not so it's getting hotter than it should. When that happens, the motherboard senses the temps are too high and it kicks the fan into gear to work harder and get the temps down.

If you blow it all out with an air compressor or canned air you'll probably be fine.

It does seem to help to blow it out with air, but it does happen again. Since she can not afford a new computer, not even a refurbished Dell, and is not even in a financial position to buy components as she can afford them so I can help her build a new rig when she has all the components, it would be nice to figure out which fan is causing this, and replace if possible.

Looks like the first step is to download SpeedFan and see if it works. I appreciate all the input.

You might be able to tell what fan it is just by taking the side off and running something like OCCT, but, I'm going to guess that it's the fan attached to the CPU shroud...the fan / motherboard settings are designed to ramp up when the temperature go up. So...what's the most crucial temperature? CPU.