Need some young blood

I've had my Gigabyte 8800GTS 320MB for quite some time now. I am considering a upgrade. I'm not sure where to go from here. My problem is that my 8800 can be run at very high clocks (core-735 shaders-1699 and the memory 2138MHz effective).

I have a E7300 that can bench 3DMark06 at 3.96GHz. At these settings I get 13800 3DMarks. I would like to know wich card I can buy for an upgrade. I am looking for a card that can better this score by at least 1500 when overclocked.

I can afford something in the price range of the HD4850

Edited by QuantumX

This is a really strange way to ask this question. No one here can promise you that X card will give you Y points in Z benchmark. Every system is different. Besides, who cares what numbers you get in synthetic benchmarks? The real question is how it does on the games you play. Or you could make it even easier and just say "What's the best card I can get for $X?"

If you can afford something in the price range of the 4850, then I'd say the 4850 is a likely candidate. No?

Can you give a budget in monetary terms? How much do you have to spend?

This is a really strange way to ask this question. No one here can promise you that X card will give you Y points in Z benchmark. Every system is different. Besides, who cares what numbers you get in synthetic benchmarks? The real question is how it does on the games you play. Or you could make it even easier and just say "What's the best card I can get for $X?"

If you can afford something in the price range of the 4850, then I'd say the 4850 is a likely candidate. No?

Can you give a budget in monetary terms? How much do you have to spend?

Really only up to $140

In that case I'd say either a 4850 or a 250GTS.

The 260GTX would be a great option but it's just a little past your price range. You might still find one that low if you're patient and keep an eye out for deals, though.

I'd probably lean to the 4850 because I believe your board supports crossfire, which means you could add a second 4850 down the road. I quite enjoy my two 4850s :)

How about a 4870? There's a few around $150 on Newegg. I just don't think going from an 8800 to a 4850 is going to make a huge difference. I wouldn't even upgrade there. Now unless you sold that 8800 and got some money to put towards your budget, then maybe you could bump it up to a GTX 260.

Edited by malmsteenisgod

How about a 4870? There's a few around $150 on Newegg. I just don't think going from an 8800 to a 4850 is going to make a huge difference. I wouldn't even upgrade there. Now unless you sold that 8800 and got some money to put towards your budget, then maybe you could bump it up to a GTX 260.

$150 is out of his price range, and like I said at that point I'd just get a 260 anyways.

Also, keep in mind that his 8800 is pretty old. I upgraded from a 512MB 8800GTS to a 4850 and I saw a pretty big improvement. Since the 320MB 8800GTS is even older, that would be an even bigger upgrade.

Yes this card is very old. . . I was heartbroken when I tested one of my friends' 9600gt in my rig the other day. At stock the 9600GT beats my card by 1300 in 3DMark06 when my card also isn't overclocked! :O And most of the games I tested gave the same framerates than with my 8800gts. This is when I realised it's time for a upgrade. :lol:

Edited by QuantumX