serious n00b, advice on system build

lordofamber

Edit: thanks everyone for your help! i ordered the system and hopefully it will arrive soon!

Edited by lordofamber

Looks like a fairly solid system. If possible i'd try to get better rated ram. Cas 9 isn't that great. Looks like this is the ram they would be giving you. Something like this would be worth the extra $15 bucks imo.

Other than that the PSU looks solid, mobo and cpu look good, vid card should do what you want and more for a non gamer. Maybe upgrade the hdd for a 32MB cache drive but that 500GB 16MB hdd will do just fine too.

edit: about your dvd drive question. That will be fine, it's not required to have one.

Edited by Raiderfan001

I love my i7. Vista 64 runs beautifully on it. I love that it sees 8 cores. lol. I am running 12 gigs of ram tho, OCZ Platinum with 7 lat. Worth every penny. $180 on newegg. I agree about the HDD comment from raider. Now, if u plan on having this hooked up to a nice monitor or big screen and like movies, I might put a blu-ray into it. I hope this helps. Happy building!

Thanks for the tip on the memory. Unfortunately, AVADirect doesn't offer G.Skill memory as an option. Do you think it would be worth it to switch to Crucial XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3? It would be an extra 27 bucks. What kind of tangible difference might I see from upgrading the ram?

Looks like a fairly solid system. If possible i'd try to get better rated ram. Cas 9 isn't that great. Looks like this is the ram they would be giving you. Something like this would be worth the extra $15 bucks imo.

Other than that the PSU looks solid, mobo and cpu look good, vid card should do what you want and more for a non gamer. Maybe upgrade the hdd for a 32MB cache drive but that 500GB 16MB hdd will do just fine too.

edit: about your dvd drive question. That will be fine, it's not required to have one.

What problems do you see with the case?

I chose it because it was super cheap for a side-window case, and because I personally thought it looked pretty sleek. Reviews online said it was pretty solid and didn't feel/look cheap in person. I don't know too much about choosing a case though, so let me know your thoughts.

That case is a bit shabby.

Thanks Venocide. I might buy some more ram from newegg later too. Do you know what % of your ram is used in daily operations? I have 4gb on my laptop right now, running Vista, and notice that I've never reached even 80% of the max usage. It's usually my processor maxing out that is the limiting factor...hopefully this won't be a problem with the i7 :)

I love my i7. Vista 64 runs beautifully on it. I love that it sees 8 cores. lol. I am running 12 gigs of ram tho, OCZ Platinum with 7 lat. Worth every penny. $180 on newegg. I agree about the HDD comment from raider. Now, if u plan on having this hooked up to a nice monitor or big screen and like movies, I might put a blu-ray into it. I hope this helps. Happy building!

Save some money, buy from newegg! Building it yourself is easy!

:withstupid: I totally agree with Nate. You will spend a fraction of the cost if you build it urself. I use like 2-4 gigs and maybe 15% of my i7 when ever I'm gaming or whatever. lol. I know... I still like the idea of not having to do much for a few years. Crucial does make some kick a$$ ram, like the tracer series, but the lat is usually 8s or so. My OZC platinum is 7's. Which is not too bad for DDR3 1600. If you can, go with a full tower case. Loads of room for air flow, or water cooling, and easy wire managment. I went with ABS El Diablo from newegg and its awsome. Only $70 too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811215006

Thanks for the tip on the memory. Unfortunately, AVADirect doesn't offer G.Skill memory as an option. Do you think it would be worth it to switch to Crucial XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3? It would be an extra 27 bucks. What kind of tangible difference might I see from upgrading the ram?

Try SCAN

u will pickup good mem there quite cheap as well

Hey thanks for the newegg price quote! That's really tempting. If I had some extra time to read about piecing together all the parts I would definitely do it. Hopefully for the next computer after this one :)

Save some money, buy from newegg! Building it yourself is easy!

Hey thanks for the newegg price quote! That's really tempting. If I had some extra time to read about piecing together all the parts I would definitely do it. Hopefully for the next computer after this one :)

It's really around $1,000 after rebates, FYI.