PSU for 24/7 use?

i'm selling off my server to a church, they were using a personal computer as a server more like shared folder). single drive and the computer was 5 years old holding years of bank info and other stuff. anyways i have an old 470watt enermax in it right now (which is fine for me). but i need to put a psu in it that will not fail from 24/7 use and is kinda efficient.

any ideas? i was thinking of PC&P or FPS GROUP, have both have overvolt protection, etc. this server is also hooked up to a USP breaker so it won't fry.

the specs are in my sig, in short

7 hard drives,

dvd drive,

30watt celeron,

raid card PCie (my guess 20watts),

PCIe network card,

3x 120mm fans.

suggestions?

If you don't mind paying a little over the odds the Thermaltake Litepower 450W performed very well with probably the best efficiency I have seen from a power supply in its class.

The only problem I can see, because it's a server, is that in this application it won't be pulling that much juice most of the time. You really need to operate the PSU at or about 50% capacity most of the time for maximum efficiency so you could probably drop to a 300W power supply quite easily. There are a few server class power supplies on newegg but I don't know most of the brands like Dynapower and iStarUSA so perhaps somebody else can help with those. I did notice some of the Dynapowers specifications quoted for 25 deg centigrade operating temp which is somewhat unrealistic.

Cheers

Paul

yeah it won't even pull 150watts but the lower watt psu tend to be only made by cheap company's. i'll look around for good 300watt psus.

i need to get a wall wattage meter and see what it's pulling before i go buy something i guess.

on the safe side:

hdd7x 10watts

cpu 30

motherboard 50

raid card 20

nic 20

fans 3x 3w

total 199 on full load (which will never happen) it being used as storage no apps being run on it like a normal server or batch files. just a big raid 5 and a backup drive for safey.

Edited by hornybluecow

• 2 weeks later...

good news and this kinda goes with that one thread saying you don't need 800watt psu for daily use.

i have a Power PC & Cooling 420watt psu running a GTX 260 OCed to 700! with no problems. it has been folding Seti non stop all day and will do so for the next 2 months when remove the psu. this thing is rock solid. one thing to note is the 370watt and 420 are the same for 12v rail and what i need this PSU for more is running 7-10 hard drives in a server so i opted for the 420w one (higher 3v line).

Edited by hornybluecow