Q6700

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand many of you think I am an idiot but I am only a freshman and gabrieltessin ... None taken

As mentioned...Just listen to Verran's advice....he is going to suggest the best for you...this means getting the most gaming power for the dollars you have...

The system he suggested I really agree with...I dont think you can do much better and still be within the budget you have...not without going with cheaper/lesser known brands and thats not really an option for longevity....

Beings this is your first build it's very important you learn what is right and what is wrong....matching the wrong parts (i7 and 9600gso) will net you a poorly performing system...all the parts must work equally together to net you the best performance...

for gaming I would always go with a better card and slack on the CPU....not the other way around...you're getting some good advice here and if you pay close attention you'll be fine...

If I were to get an os and I had 4gb of ddr2 memory but will be adding more later on (6-8gb) then what os should I have 64 bit or 32 bit?

here is my final build

phoenom II 940

foxconn destroyer 780a

EVGA gtx 260

4gb ddr2

vista 64 bit

600w truepower psu

320 gb hdd (7200 rpm)

ultra xblaster case (tiger direct)

867$

Edited by connor776

your os is gonna have to be a 64bit for that. Also i am glad you went this route as you will have a blazing system right from the start. Here is the windows 7 RC. Its free and it should last until june 10, 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

In 2010 the month of june it expires. Then all you have to do is pay for it and you get to keep everything just as you installed it. you will have much warning before it expires so if you decide you dont want it you'll be able to back up and move to a different OS.

Its FREE and you can get the 64bit. See dude I am trying to save you some cash. I think the RC is pretty darn good. It impressed me. If you dont want the free os you can always pay for vista64. You are complicated like that! that was a joke

Edited by ocre

your os is gonna have to be a 64bit for that. Also i am glad you went this route as you will have a blazing system right from the start. Here is the windows 7 RC. Its free and it should last until june 10, 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

In 2010 the month of june it expires. Then all you have to do is pay for it and you get to keep everything just as you installed it. you will have much warning before it expires so if you decide you dont want it you'll be able to back up and move to a different OS.

Its FREE and you can get the 64bit. See dude I am trying to save you some cash. I think the RC is pretty darn good. It impressed me. If you dont want the free os you can always pay for vista64. You are complicated like that! that was a joke

hey thanks man, but can you tell me how to download it so I can install it on a seperate computer because I was looking into to doing just that!!

hey thanks man, but can you tell me how to download it so I can install it on a seperate computer because I was looking into to doing just that!!

It wont let you save it and put it on a disc? You could get help with all that at the windows7 forums. The link is on the windows RC page that i linked you. Right there on the left hand side is their forums they should be able to get you goin. You have through july to download it if thats what your worried about. You should just go ahead and get your system together, you know!

You said earlier that you want to overclock to 3.66.....while this is possible the 1ghz club is hard to hit with air cooling....most processors will heat fast with voltage increase and to hit those numbers you will have too increase it substantially....now you have to look at the stock speed....that phenom he showed you could probably hit those numbers with careful tweaking (though you want to stick with intel which is ok)...if you're building a first time overclocking build stay away from going to high till you learn a bit more....things like that require special cooling (phase, water, peltier)...as for your multiplier question...anything black edition by AMD has an unlocked multiplier....as for intel im not to sure what is locked and unlocked....but you can overclock without it...Sounds like fun though man....if you have any question feel free to ask....if you cant figure it out on this forum theres something wrong :)....was very late now that i look at the replies..

Edited by sipaison

Okay one more question

with the stock cooler and heatsink what is the max clock you think I can hit?

this Phoenom II I am going to get is a black edition (if that means anything to you)

If I were to get an os and I had 4gb of ddr2 memory but will be adding more later on (6-8gb) then what os should I have 64 bit or 32 bit?

here is my final build

phoenom II 940

foxconn destroyer 780a

EVGA gtx 260

4gb ddr2

vista 64 bit

600w truepower psu

320 gb hdd (7200 rpm)

ultra xblaster case (tiger direct)

867$

You won't be OCing very far on a 780a either....

You MIGHT want to research chipsets and the effects they have on overclocking. The information is out there... I promise. You can't really have your cake and eat it too ya know. You want SLI, but you want a cheap AMD chip. You want to OC but you can't afford proper cooling. You want big numbers but for what?? If you're looking for big OC numbers, buy a E7400 chip, a good air cooler and go to town. You can hit 4ghz on that 2.8ghz chip. If you want a computer that is ACTUALLY going to be fast, listen to these guys and try and soak up some knowledge. That chip at STOCK speeds will be plenty for that graphics card. I would worry more about what you can overclock your graphics card to than your processor. =)

Edited by 9KRacing

you should be able to stay cool and hit at least 3.6 with the stock cooler. The 940 cooler really isnt as bad as other stock coolers. I unlocked my 720 to 4 cores and ran it to 3.6 with the 720 stock cooler which is a lot worse then the one that comes with the 940. my temps were in the mid 50s after 1 hour full load. The 940 hs should do you better. usually the 940s go like butter up to 3.6 then you get to the more tricky part getting past 3.8. Most all of them are pretty easy to work with. You will have a blast. Trust me