Q6700

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually if you like the price I would get it....

those are very nice CPUs and most will hit 4.0ghz pretty darn easy....

I have a Q6700 and a Q9450 and the Q6700 is a better clocker and it does it alot cooler....and on the same voltage...

That is a very good price on the Q6700 and I would not hesitate to get it if you like it...

In benchmarks the Q9450 may score a tad better at the same CPU mhz but in real world you wont be able to tell the difference....gaming either...

even with the C2Ds without running benchmarks you wont notice any difference in gaming...only media encoding is where the Quad really shines....

I would say at this point get whatever fits your budget...if the Q6700 fits that and other CPUs dont then it's a no brainer from there...

I'd have to price it out, but I think you could pretty easily get into a 920 on that budget. The question for me is which system is going to work better at the end. AMD will save you money over an i7 chip. That's 100% for sure. So the question is, how much more video card can you buy with the money you save? That's something I'll have to price out.

If your budget doesn't allow enough room to get the i7 and a high-end video card, then to me it'd be worth it to drop to a Phenom II and get the video upgrade instead. The i7 is better than the Phenom II, but it's not that much better. But an extra $50-100 for a bigger video card? That is a lot better.

Verran make a very valid point....if you listen to his advice he wont steer you wrong....

ya but many people have been telling me otherwise and that led me to the decision of the i7 and I dont really know where to go right now if other people agree then speak up for either side I would like it to be under the 900-800$ range

tell me what you think of this

Intel Core i7 920 w/ FREE 4GB USB Flash Drive - BX80601920, 2.66GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, HyperThreading, Quad-Core, LGA 1366, Retail Processor (1.6 lbs)

OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) (0.3 lbs)

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 1024MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready (2.05 lbs)

Coolmax / CXI-600B / 600-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply (4.45 lbs)

Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports (20.1 lbs)

LG GH22LP20 Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Lightscribe OEM - 22x DVD+R, 16x DVD+R DL, 22x DVD-R, 16x DVD-R DL, 8x DVD+RW, IDE (2.35 lbs)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM (1.55 lbs)

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support (4.45 lbs)

950$

or

OCZ Fatal1ty Dual Channel 4096MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) (0.1 lbs) (8gb)

B69-2009 :: EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz OEM Processor (4.654 lbs)

same every thing else

845$

Edited by connor776

what exactly do you need...refresh me again...

I think you could do nicely with a decent set up...for gaming it's more about the video card and ram than it is about CPU....

do you need a hard drive and all that....?

OK, I'm going to try not to be rude here... but an i7 processor with a 9600GSO video card? That is insanity. If you're building this for games that is a HORRIBLY unbalanced system. That's exactly what I was talking about too. You spend all that money to get the i7 and the fancy motherboard and the fancy DDR3 and in the end you've got nothing left for the video card. If this is your first system then I'll cut you some slack but seriously that video card makes the whole system a huge waste. It is going to bottleneck like crazy.

Here's what I would build:

Phenom II 940 ($190)

Foxconn Destroyer 780a SLI ($190 - 20MIR)

2x2GB G.Skill Pi DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 ($55)

EVGA GTX260 Core216 ($173 - 20MIR)

PC Power & Cooling 750W ($120 - 30MIR)

WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache SATA ($70)

Total: $797.94

That leaves ~$70 for that X-Blaster case you picked out and ~$30 for whatever burner you want and puts you right around $900.

--------------

If you want bragging rights, get the i7. But if you do, don't brag about the video card because if anyone finds out what you spent on the i7 and what video card you put with it all that bragging will go right out the window. If you want the best gaming system for the money you have, I think it's going to be AM2+ and I'm very happy with what I built above. You can swap out the memory or motherboard if you prefer certain brands. It doesn't really matter. There's plenty to choose from in those price ranges.

Just do me a favor. Before you ignore what I said and order the i7 because one of your friends said it's better, look up some reviews for your video card and mine. When you see the difference in performance, you'll understand. Going from DDR2 to DDR3 won't make anywhere even NEAR that kind of difference, and neither will going to i7.

I thought he needed everything but keyboard and mouse. I guess OS and monitor he already has?

no my grandpa is getting me xp and I have a monitor but what do you think of the second choice I wrote about that costs 845$

I would also like to say I have made a correction to my i7 build I will take off the 9600 and add a EVGA gts 250 1gb That would bring it to $907(with rebates)

How about that???

Edited by connor776

I would also like to say I have made a correction to my i7 build I will take off the 9600 and add a EVGA gts 250 1gb That would bring it to $907(with rebates)

How about that???

XFX GTX 260 core 216 $130 on newegg provided you mail in the extra 50 dollar rebate that comes with this.

Umm, may I say that I read this thread and Verran, you must be a saint, I became impatient just reading this. No offense Connor

Edited by gabrieltessin

Granted this is my first build so I am new to this whole thing and I also thank verran for being so patient because I understand that this whole time I must have sounded like an idiot and thank you all for the help!!

Okay now to business what gpu do you suguest to to with the i7 and 6 gb of ddr3 ram that costs under 160$$ ( this may be an idiotic question)!!

Umm, may I say that I read this thread and Verran, you must be a saint, I became impatient just reading this. No offense Connor

I understand many of you think I am an idiot but I am only a freshman and gabrieltessin ... None taken

You may not have gotten it but I think maybe you finally are getting somewhere.

if you get another gts250 in sli in a few months then i think you will have a mighty fine system. But i wouldnt just leave one in there cause it would be a shame these whole lot cheaper phenom 2s could walk all over you. But really getting 2 gts 250s with the i7 one at a time is actually a great plan. I give you two thumbs up for coming to a good idea. I mean with your limitations you reach an acceptable out come. Not the best plan of action but interesting to me. I like it. Now the system verran showed you would trample your much more expensive i7 rig in games until you got up the other gts250 but you know if its worth it to you it is gonna be a great rig in the end. I never was a big fan of SLI but SLIing 2 gts250s with an i7 actually gives you a worth while investment. It actually performs good for the money (the cards that is).

Uh what kinda monitor do you have? I am kinda interested so please tell us..

You may not have gotten it but I think maybe you finally are getting somewhere.

if you get another gts250 in sli in a few months then i think you will have a mighty fine system. But i wouldnt just leave one in there cause it would be a shame these whole lot cheaper phenom 2s could walk all over you. But really getting 2 gts 250s with the i7 one at a time is actually a great plan. I give you two thumbs up for coming to a good idea. I mean with your limitations you reach an acceptable out come. Not the best plan of action but interesting to me. I like it. Now the system verran showed you would trample your much more expensive i7 rig in games until you got up the other gts250 but you know if its worth it to you it is gonna be a great rig in the end. I never was a big fan of SLI but SLIing 2 gts250s with an i7 actually gives you a worth while investment. It actually performs good for the money (the cards that is).

Uh what kinda monitor do you have? I am kinda interested so please tell us..

As of right now I have a 19" monitor and it has a single dvi import but I will be getting a 19" hdmi tv to put in my room along with a 5.1 harmon/kardon home theatre souround sound ( I will also put my xbox in my room)