Windows7 thoughts

flareback

I just installed Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100) 64 bit. I'm really liking it so far. Haven't played with it much but it seems well polished. This may be bringing back windows as my primary OS (depending on the price).

installed on:

Intel core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58 UD4P

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

dual 400 Gig Seagate drives in RAID 1

It's a pretty good system so it runs snappy. For those who have it installed what are your thoughts?

While it's not exactly a revolution, Win7 is the required change from Vista. Due to the reputation of Vista, it had to be cut short. I enjoy using it and will probably buy it later on.

Edited by Hyper Threaded

While it's not exactly a revolution, Win7 is the required change from Vista. Due to the reputation of Vista, it had to be cut short. I enjoy using it and will probably buy it later on.

call me crazy if you will but i liked xp, vista, and now w7 which i'm still getting used to...i was commenting in another similar thread yesterday that my mobo driver cd doesn't work in w7 but using the device manager brought everything up to date that needed to be updated so no worries...w7 is pretty snappy in terms of boot speed and the overall look and feel is a bit less polished than vista but quick like xp....i appreciated the professional look of vista (i.e. less cartoonish) and i think w7 might be headed that direction....so far w7 seems a little fussy about my overclocks but this morning i managed a 1700 fsb on my q6600 [email protected] good enough for folding.....i have a good feeling about w7......cya .....cj :D

call me crazy if you will but i liked xp, vista, and now w7 which i'm still getting used to...i was commenting in another similar thread yesterday that my mobo driver cd doesn't work in w7 but using the device manager brought everything up to date that needed to be updated so no worries...w7 is pretty snappy in terms of boot speed and the overall look and feel is a bit less polished than vista but quick like xp....i appreciated the professional look of vista (i.e. less cartoonish) and i think w7 might be headed that direction....so far w7 seems a little fussy about my overclocks but this morning i managed a 1700 fsb on my q6600 [email protected] good enough for folding.......i have a good feeling about w7......cya .....cj :D

yeah that device manager thing rocks i didnt even have to install my realtek drivers and on xp i cant use the inter net with setting up driver for an hour first lol.

I remember the first time I installed the beta, I couldn't get my wireless nic to work. Second time, I did by going in and having the computer look for hardware changes (it was in the entire time). I'm getting ready to install it using a flash drive emulated as a CD-ROM.

All the computers in the house run 7, from my Eee to the i7 ;)

wow zertz you're serious...so you're pretty sure it's not to soon to make the transition then....i could do that but i'd lose plenty it the process...files and collected caca...does w7 keep track of stored data...??...i did a clean install on the folding rig so i don't know... :typing:...any idea what this is gonna cost when it's firmed up and finalized next march...??

cjolki, I really wish you'd write more cogently. It's hard to understand your posts, they look like ramblings. Perhaps proper use of punctuation, sentence structure, and the use of the Enter key to create new paragraphs would go a long way in getting people to better understand what you're trying to say.

As for the substance of your post, we're actually looking at a Fall 2009 release for Windows 7. Next March is simply the time where the RC will switch to two hours at a time mode.

I am using the RC1. I am having a hell of a time with drive mapping. Either it maps and stops working or won't map at all. Here is the message An error occured while reconnecting S: to path Microsoft windows network more data is available This connection has not been restored.

Anyone encounter this?

Edited by InCrYsIs

My main complaint is that Windows 7 totally crashes when it doesn't like my OCs.

In Vista I could boot into windows on almost any Vcore, and I could actually run Prime95... and it would fail on cores. Now when I boot into windows (assuming I even can), it BSODs me when I try to do anything if my volts aren't perfect. And even getting into windows at anything over 400 FSB has become a challenge.

Other than that I love it though... running it as a main OS on mine, my friends, and my parents computers.

cjolki, I really wish you'd write more cogently. It's hard to understand your posts, they look like ramblings. Perhaps proper use of punctuation, sentence structure, and the use of the Enter key to create new paragraphs would go a long way in getting people to better understand what you're trying to say.

As for the substance of your post, we're actually looking at a Fall 2009 release for Windows 7. Next March is simply the time where the RC will switch to two hours at a time mode.

sorry neighbor i have brain damage but i'll try...!!

in a nutshell i was asking zertz if he's really so sure that the final release is going to be similar to the rc version because he said that he started using it in all his machines and commenting on his level of commitment to the new program.

then i was trying to find out if he knew how the w7 handles existing files and folder during installation because when i installed on my folding rig i did a clean install so i didn't have anything to save, if i install w7 on this machine i could potentially lose alot of data, folders, and years of collected files that i want to save.

and finally i was asking what the cost will be for the finished product when it hits the market..?

does that make more sense, i do sometimes ramble :blush:

thanx for the pullup kash i will try to focus more...!

then i was trying to find out if he knew how the w7 handles existing files and folder during installation because when i installed on my folding rig i did a clean install so i didn't have anything to save, if i install w7 on this machine i could potentially lose alot of data, folders, and years of collected files that i want to save.

and finally i was asking what the cost will be for the finished product when it hits the market..?

does that make more sense, i do sometimes ramble :blush:

This is a good reason to keep all data on a separate drive / partition. If it's on a separate partition you don't have to worry about losing your data when reinstalling the OS. At the very least you should have a backup in case of a drive failure. For me, data loss is the least of my worries when upgrading/reinstalling.

I've heard, not sure where can't remember right now, that the cost will be more than vista. Does anyone else know if I just made that up or if I actually heard that somewhere?