400 FSB Barrier

Ok, so when you guys are OCing, what temps do your cores hit in realtemp?

@3.16ghz and 1.21 vcore I sit at 41 degrees idle and under prime95 I hit maybe 49 degrees. When I upped the FSB to 400 and the vcore to 1.26, I'm prime95 stable, and at a max core temp of maybe 57. (Still 41 idle)

The problem comes after 400 FSB... it simply EATS up power. I clocked it to 450 fsb (4.27ghz) and got it to boot but it wouldn't run prime95. I stopped adding voltage at 1.34, prime95 was still giving me BSODs and my core temps were hitting 65ish.

I know 70 is the max you would ever want to see your cores hitting so I'm wondering... is 400 fsb pretty much my max "stable" OC? I mean i'm sure with enough voltage I can get it stable.. but at what temps? I'm just curious what you guys running 4ghz+ daily are doing. WC is out of the question and my case setup isn't going to get much better I'm afraid. However I sit at 30 degrees system temp and 27 degrees cpu temp.. so I don't think my case is an issue.

I saw a few 100's before when running prime or intel burntest.

It would pretty much be left to the individual what is comfy temps or not.

For 24/7 use I don't like going past 50c under load.

I can run my quad around 4.2-4.3 but I don't like the temps at all, upper 60s loaded.

Besides for what I need even 3.75 giggabiggles is overkill.

For 24/7 use I don't like going past 50c under load.

why?

the widely believed "safe" max temp for these CPUs is approximately 30C below the tjmax. so for your CPU, 100 (tjmax) minus the 30C would be 70C. If your load temps go over that, I'd consider dropping the overclock a smidge and lowering temps, if you are running 60-65C MAX LOAD, I'd say you are fine.

As for only being able to reach 400FSB, what is your NorthBridge voltage? most boards are safe to go up to about 1.4-1.5 volts.

As for only being able to reach 400FSB, what is your NorthBridge voltage? most boards are safe to go up to about 1.4-1.5 volts.

I still have it on auto. I hadn't messed with any voltages other than vcore yet.

Thanks for the replies guys.... I think I basically am just at the limit of where I can run my chip 24/7 without worrying about temps. 3.8ghz is pretty fast anyway, I just really wanted to break 4ghz for bragging rights... theres no real need to run it that fast anyway everyday. With a max load temp of 56 degrees and 3.8ghz prime stable I guess I'm happy. It's just in my nature to always try and push the limits of everything I own. :rolleyes:

" 3.8ghz is pretty fast anyway, I just really wanted to break 4ghz for bragging rights... theres no real need to run it that fast anyway everyday."

good idea...!! ;)

I still have it on auto. I hadn't messed with any voltages other than vcore yet.

Turophiliac is correct, you should raise the northbridge voltage if you want to crank the FSB. you may as well do it, as it's not like CPU vcore tuning since you'll find you can only increment it once or twice, which will likely be more than enough to help you past 4ghz.

Turophiliac is correct, you should raise the northbridge voltage if you want to crank the FSB. you may as well do it, as it's not like CPU vcore tuning since you'll find you can only increment it once or twice, which will likely be more than enough to help you past 4ghz.

hmmm, ok ill try that. Thanks guys. :thumbs-up:

**UPDATE**

completeocct.png

:thumbs-up:

Hit 4Ghz stable* finally. (Longer tests forthcoming)

1.288 Vcore as shown in CPU-Z

1.13 NB

1.3 SB

450FSB x 9

65 Degree max under load.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sadly, even with just a small OC to my 9920 (2.6 to 2.8 thorugh the multi) I still reach about 72C constantly, and thats with stock HS and a nice deskfan blowing out the hot air. I've even gotten used to it because at stock its maybe only two degrees less.