Putting an antique server tower to use.

I did clean it up Nash didn't post those pics. This machine probably will just be a server for media files and a central point for torrent downloads. Using it for testing new XP builds would be nice as my desktop machine gets loaded down if I have too many things going on at once. I read a step by step article on setting up a server using XUBUNTU that looked interesting. I have not used any form of Linux before but I go back to using punch cards and paper tape to load up programs back in the day. Most of my network devices are 100Mb only, very few Gigabit capable items, however I do have about 20 LAN cards enough to put bridged connections in all systems if that helps. If the linux server idea is as simple as it looks I could move the tuner cards to this box too..otherwise the dedicated HTPC in the family room is fine. The only reason i wanted to bench it was to see the effect of the dual cpu's.

On further thought I could put this unit in the pantry next to the family room, run the usb sensors for the remote and the keyboard thru the wall , use extention cables for the video to the TV monitor and use this as the HTPC. My current MCE rig is a P4 2.66 that Nash used to use before we put his E8500 system together that I had literally fished out of the dumpster at work. I have a new (to me) ASUS K8NE-Deluxe 3400+ that I am putting together to replace that as the HTPC. All of the old systems are AGP based. For vid cards I have choices on hand from a HIS Ice-Q HD2600PRO Turbo, another 2600PRO, 2 2400PRO cards, NVidia 6,5, and 4 series cards. I never throw anything away!

post-67407-1242653749_thumb.jpg

post-67407-1242653798_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigBirdAZ

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to starting it up with XP Pro. Runs pretty good about the performance of a Pentium D 3 Ghz. I have yet to try the Xubuntu server install, but it runs at room temp according to the sensors. 32C for the mobo, CPU's and 33C on the hard drives. Not even all that noisy. The Vantech 60's really pull the heat out of the case right by the CPU's. Will post more as I make more progress.

Looks like a really nice mod, as far as not spending any money goes.

One person pointed out that 120/140mm fans would be more efficient as far as the noise they make goes, but it's going to be in the closet, not to mention you already had those 60mm fans lying around. Good job! Looking forward to how this comes out at the end!

I got my ram problems sorted, now have 4 GB ECC working. Ran HyperPi both CPU's 100% temps at 32C accross the board. Time to fill up the bays and put it to work.