Aperture

dling

have a question, what is "aperture" ? have mine at 512 . have, 1 gig. of system

memory, and 128 of video memory. it was my understanding that the aperture should be about 1/3 to 1/2 of system memory. could some please explain ?

When your video card's memory is running low a certain amount of memory (the aperture) will be used as "virtual memory" for graphics. Around 64mb-128mb are common aperture settings; video card's with 128mb+ memory do not need 512mb set for aperture.

Edited by O(V)eGA_l2el)

if ur saying that the aperture, is system memory being set aside for video, and i have a gig. of system mem. it seems that it could olny be a positive, to have more made available, for vga . unless,somehow theres a attendency use the sys. memory before the vga. or mabe it does'ent really matter. :blink:

When your video card's memory is running low a certain amount of memory (the aperture) will be used as "virtual memory" for graphics.  Around 64mb-128mb are common aperture settings; video card's with 128mb+ memory do not need 512mb set for aperture.

o.k, so ive set my aperture to 64 mbs, if i understand this correctly, this will allow more of my vga memory to be free for other things. arrrr..... me poor lil' brain

im so confussed :withstupid:

could go lower" 32mbs" yes or no ?

Edited by dling