Help with a possible computer.

ClaymanVTW

How did this get to page 2 without the most important question being asked? That being what resolution you will be running. The video card you get should be based on not only your budget but the resolution. No good opinions can really be given on a video card without knowing this. Also what your main purpose for the comp will be (gaming, video editing/encoding, photoshop, CAD, etc).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news mates!

Im allowed to go to about 700 USD not including shipping :P

But tell me how you guys feel about this system?

-Vista 64bit

-4gb DDR2 RAM

-RAIDMAX APEX ATX-802B Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-22x DVDROM drive.

-ATI Radeon 4850 (this one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16814150337)

-BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply (should i go with the 480W Corsair sujested earlier though?)

-AMD Phenom II x3 720

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

-MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Total including shipping: $699.88

So would that wrok properly/ is to fairly good for my price range?

EDIT: that includes mouse, keyboard, and a weird usb thingy i never meant to get...maybe it just come with one of the things in the cart.

Edited by ClaymanVTW

Good news mates!

Im allowed to go to about 700 USD not including shipping :P

But tell me how you guys feel about this system?

-Vista 64bit

-4gb DDR2 RAM

-RAIDMAX APEX ATX-802B Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-22x DVDROM drive.

-ATI Radeon 4850 (this one to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16814150337)

-BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply (should i go with the 480W Corsair sujested earlier though?)

-AMD Phenom II x3 720

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

-MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Total including shipping: $699.88

So would that wrok properly/ is to fairly good for my price range?

EDIT: that includes mouse, keyboard, and a weird usb thingy i never meant to get...maybe it just come with one of the things in the cart.

I guess that's good but why not go for the Sapphire 4850, it'll be cheaper before and after the promo code.

Use the latest Windows 7 build - save yourself $100 and use that money to beef up that PII 720 to a PII 940, the PSU and the HDD.

Sorry, I just don't see the point in buying Vista just a couple/few months before Windows 7 is released - seems like a waste of money to me, but if you feel safer with Vista than that $100 might be worth it to you.

those specs look good...

bfg is a good power supply to get... customer service is very good and it should come with a fantastic warranty (atleast their graphics cards do)... perhaps five year warranty on the power supply, which would be very good if so.

...you should be quite happy with that build...

as far as the 4850 choice goes... xfx seems to have an impeccable warranty (double lifetime... that's pretty serious)... not sure about sapphire warranties. anybody know?

keep in mind that though windows 7 may be out in six months or so, it is probably going to have kinks that need working out (won't trust it for awhile personally, but many seem to be running the beta versions at the moment so it's up to you really... to each their own)...

vista should be getting a service pack 2 soon and should be really close to windows 7 launch performance... hopefully anyway!

but like fogel mentioned, the phenom II 940 deneb at 3.0 Ghz (should overclock to close to 4 Ghz) could be much better than the triple core if you wanna just go windows 7 instead of vista (it's taking a chance though, plus it will probably require a reformat when the final version of windows 7 comes out and it will probably cost loads of money at launch... these things should be kept in mind but are something to think about).

you should probably just go with the build listed in your last post above and be done with it, then maybe upgrade to windows 7 and a new processor when prices are most likely going to be much more reasonable.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

as far as the 4850 choice goes... xfx seems to have an impeccable warranty (double lifetime... that's pretty serious)... not sure about sapphire warranties. anybody know?

My friend is getting screwed over by Sapphire because they say Newegg should cover it and Newegg is saying its passed 30 days so the manufacturer should cover it. Sounds like most of the issues possibly could have been avoided if he had the original box but he has a 3yr old... and well the box is trash now.

Can't say it's totally Sapphire's fault but compared to other companies out there, I'd definitely go with XFX if the price was somewhat the same. Then again I don't mind paying $15 to support a company that I think treats their customers well. After all, my time is worth something too so the less time I have to fight a battle is worth something to me.

yeah i'll go that. Not sure when i'll upgrade though, probably in a year or two. Thanks guys!

if one wanted to stay up to date on the latest computer technology in this day and age one would pretty much be upgrading every month or two...

and really, unless you're rich it's just not worth it.

get what you can and be happy with it...

your build specs look good.