Lost space after formatting

Warby35

Hi,

I recently bought an external hard dive of 1Tb and after formatting it reduced to 931Gb, I was expecting a reduction, but 70Gb? I also have 4 internal HDD in my rig and I am aware of reduction after formatting, but why so much ? Does the OS really need 220Gb (over all)

Also I would like to ask if it is possible to reduce the reserved space in any way? by using FAT32 or NTFS

I will be buying a 320Gb external HDD for a friend to fill it with Documentaries as a present, how much space will I loose?

Thanks,

Warby

Hi,

I recently bought an external hard dive of 1Tb and after formatting it reduced to 931Gb, I was expecting a reduction, but 70Gb? I also have 4 internal HDD in my rig and I am aware of reduction after formatting, but why so much ? Does the OS really need 220Gb (over all)

Also I would like to ask if it is possible to reduce the reserved space in any way? by using FAT32 or NTFS

I will be buying a 320Gb external HDD for a friend to fill it with Documentaries as a present, how much space will I loose?

Thanks,

Warby

Well, I did lose almost exactly 35GB on both my 500GB drives, so I wouldn't be surprised at 70GB lost in 1TB

Operating systems use a binary measurement for HDD capacity, where HDD manufacturers use a base 10 system. As the size of drives increase, you will see a larger difference between the numbers. The difference at the mega- level is ~5%, giga- is ~7%, tera- ~9%, and peta- is ~11%.

anybody got an Answer to these two questions? i did a bit of calculating and 30Gb per 320, does that sound about right? :(

anybody got an Answer to these two questions? i did a bit of calculating and 30Gb per 320, does that sound about right? :(

sry-bump

is 30gb from 320gb sound about right?

• 2 weeks later...