Need a cooler for Overclocking Q9300 and 1 overclocking question.

WReXSTi

Actually, the only difference is the Dark Knight S1283V comes with a LGA1366 bolt-through kit and the Dark Knight S1283 doesnt, thats why the S1283 is outdated and newegg doesnt have any stock.

Also do not trust frostytech review, they are synthetic tests. And I personally take the Dark Knight over the Sunbeam since it is essentially the same thing, but the Dark Knight mounts easier and better and is on average 2C cooler

If you have a big enough case get the coolermaster V10 really big but really good at keeping cool air.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Q9300 with Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme RT FDB (=includes a fan) and I have no complaints. For me it's definitely enough, keeping the card rather cool with 1,336 volts (1,36V from BIOS though). It cost me just 60€, that's 79$ right now, so not so much over your budget. I haven't tried any other coolers except for the stock one though so it's hard to say, but at least this one is much better than the stock ^^

EDIT: I was able to run with 3,0GHz or even 3,2GHz with stock cooling, so with a new cooler, you definitely should go for more than 2,8GHz :P

Edited by Flibo

I've got a Q9300 with Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme RT FDB (=includes a fan) and I have no complaints. For me it's definitely enough, keeping the card rather cool with 1,336 volts (1,36V from BIOS though). It cost me just 60€, that's 79$ right now, so not so much over your budget. I haven't tried any other coolers except for the stock one though so it's hard to say, but at least this one is much better than the stock ^^

EDIT: I was able to run with 3,0GHz or even 3,2GHz with stock cooling, so with a new cooler, you definitely should go for more than 2,8GHz :P

I would get the Thermalright Ultra but then I have to lap it. I am leaning towards the Vigor Monsoon, the V8 and the Dark Knight. Which one would you get out of these three. Price is not a problem as long as it is under $75. Also I would overclock on the stock CPU cooler but I need help overclocking. I came across this problem. "Ok. I have a question. I was overclocking to get a feel of overclocking and I decided to start on the stock cooler. I increased my FSB from 1333 to 1340 and I set the voltages to maunal and to the current voltages. I then tried booting up and I posted but I didn't get into the operating system. I need help. Any suggestions?"

Edited by WReXSTi

I would get the Thermalright Ultra but then I have to lap it. I am leaning towards the Vigor Monsoon, the V8 and the Dark Knight. Which one would you get out of these three. Price is not a problem as long as it is under $75. Also I would overclock on the stock CPU cooler but I need help overclocking. I came across this problem. "Ok. I have a question. I was overclocking to get a feel of overclocking and I decided to start on the stock cooler. I increased my FSB from 1333 to 1340 and I set the voltages to maunal and to the current voltages. I then tried booting up and I posted but I didn't get into the operating system. I need help. Any suggestions?"

What are your current voltages? I had them all on auto except for vCore. The first time I had to change the other settings was when going up to 3,4 GHz, when my memory ran out of juice :)

What are your current voltages? I had them all on auto except for vCore. The first time I had to change the other settings was when going up to 3,4 GHz, when my memory ran out of juice :)

I got it to WORK. I am currently on 2.63 with my volts at 1.23 (This is the current voltage I was talking about). I put everything except vCore to AUTO and I put the vCore at 1.23750. I am currently running a stress test with Prime95 and I would like to know when I should bump up my Volts and by how much.

EDIT: I ran Prime95 for 20 minutes and my temperatures for my cores are 75 each. Is that safe? Also there were no failures. I then returned back to 2.50 because of the temperature of the cores to see if the temps changed. I then noticed that the FSB volts were at 1.30 which was highlighted red. I'm guessing that it isnt safe to I returned to factory settings. HELP. Should I manually set the FSB volts to 1.20?

Edited by WReXSTi

Ok. Final decision on the Cooler. The Noctua, V8, Zalman 9900, or the Vigor Monsoon?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know the Tj. Max for the Q9300? Thank you.

Edited by WReXSTi

75 degrees? That's pretty much compared to mine. With Prime95 I don't go over 63 degrees even with the hottest core as far as I can remember, and I have quite a few volts more <_< Is your room somewhat hot or? Mine is pretty cold, 18 degrees celcius. Anyway, what motherboard do you have? I still have my vFSB on auto and have no problems with it :S

75 degrees? That's pretty much compared to mine. With Prime95 I don't go over 63 degrees even with the hottest core as far as I can remember, and I have quite a few volts more <_< Is your room somewhat hot or? Mine is pretty cold, 18 degrees celcius. Anyway, what motherboard do you have? I still have my vFSB on auto and have no problems with it :S

I will manually set my vFSB. My room temperature usually depends on the temperatures outside (weather). Right now its about 20 degrees C. My motherboard is a Evga 750i FTW.

EDIT: How much life does Overclocking take away if i increase voltages to the maximum allowed? What is a safe temperature for load on my CPU?

Edited by WReXSTi