Need a cooler for Overclocking Q9300 and 1 overclocking question.

WReXSTi

Turns out that I can't get the Dark Knight or the Noctua because of my case which only allows up to 157mm heatsinks. I have a thermaltake V9. Should I get the Thermaltake SpinQ or the Zalman 9900?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, use just about any cooler in the 50 dollar range. I have same setup with Q9300 and 750i FTW. I used a Asus Lion Square which is like 55, made my FSB 1600 and wella, I got a 3.0GHz overclock right there. The processor runs cool and as long as youre not stress testing it constantly, you'll be fine. I get like a max of 60c in any games I play. I also only used this shin etsu compound thingy. The board goes higher, I'm running 3.2GHz right now and it's perfectly fine. I personally like Asus coolers, I have had 2 and both cool very well and are pretty much silent. Right now I have a basic liquid cooler and it only makes like a max of 4 degree difference. If youre only doing 2.8GHz pretty much anything will do. I havent tried getting my overclock any higher because I think a .7GHz increase is huge

hey, use just about any cooler in the 50 dollar range. I have same setup with Q9300 and 750i FTW. I used a Asus Lion Square which is like 55, made my FSB 1600 and wella, I got a 3.0GHz overclock right there. The processor runs cool and as long as youre not stress testing it constantly, you'll be fine. I get like a max of 60c in any games I play. I also only used this shin etsu compound thingy. The board goes higher, I'm running 3.2GHz right now and it's perfectly fine. I personally like Asus coolers, I have had 2 and both cool very well and are pretty much silent. Right now I have a basic liquid cooler and it only makes like a max of 4 degree difference. If youre only doing 2.8GHz pretty much anything will do. I havent tried getting my overclock any higher because I think a .7GHz increase is huge

Thanks for this but I got a Cheap cooler that works really good.

MASSCOOL 8WA741 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

Here is my problem:

I am currently at 2.9. My load temps are at 47C. I want to get to 3 but I can't. I tried every configuration to try and load the OS but i get nothing. I get past post

here are my current settings:

FSB: 1550 (I want to get to 3)

Unlinked

RAM 800

vCORE: 1.2375 (I tried 1.25 but I couldn't get the OS to load)

vRAM:1.9 (most I can handle for RAM)

All these specs are for my current setup 2.9GHz

I need help getting to 3 GHz. Thanks.

Edited by WReXSTi

you said you had a 750i FTW board??? so that means we have the same one. The only thing I had to change manually was FSB, everything like the voltage was changed automatically. on SPEEDFAN it says my vcore is 1.32 for my 3.2GHz which seems a little high now that I look at yours but i dunno, I have really good airflow in my comp. the only other dif i see is i have 1066 ram, but i think 800 would be fine. i mean just only try to change it if you really need to cause youre not really gonna see a dif between 2.9 and 3.0.

you said you had a 750i FTW board??? so that means we have the same one. The only thing I had to change manually was FSB, everything like the voltage was changed automatically. on SPEEDFAN it says my vcore is 1.32 for my 3.2GHz which seems a little high now that I look at yours but i dunno, I have really good airflow in my comp. the only other dif i see is i have 1066 ram, but i think 800 would be fine. i mean just only try to change it if you really need to cause youre not really gonna see a dif between 2.9 and 3.0.

I know I won't see a diff but I want to hit 3 because 2.9 is a weird number. I want to set my vCore to auto but that will generate too much heat and I want to keep heat at its minimum. I will try a higher voltage (higher then 1.25) I will leave my RAM volts, SPP Volts, and all the other volts except vCore and FSB core. Thanks I will post back if this helps.

EDIT: I had no Luck and I need help!

Edited by WReXSTi

I know I won't see a diff but I want to hit 3 because 2.9 is a weird number. I want to set my vCore to auto but that will generate too much heat and I want to keep heat at its minimum. I will try a higher voltage (higher then 1.25) I will leave my RAM volts, SPP Volts, and all the other volts except vCore and FSB core. Thanks I will post back if this helps.

EDIT: I had no Luck and I need help!

Try a 1.3v vcore and bump up the northbridge voltage by a notch.