Q6600 and STOCK fan - do I need to upgrade the fan?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes after some more research, I was thinking the same thing. someone told me I should add up all of the components and see what the power supply usage is. Does this ring true?

Yes and no. Most online power supply calculators are not very accurate. They usually estimate very high. If you'd like, take a look at the Q6600 link in my signature. MY Q6600 with 4GB and an 8800GTS 512MB only uses 270ish watts DC at full load (I have a tester). Like Waco said, people go VERY overkill on power supplies. Keep in mind that to a certain extent it doesn't hurt to get more than you need just to be safe, but there's no sense in paying big bucks for huge overkill supplies.

@abid: Way to go with your recommendation. Could you be any more arbitrary?

@abid: Way to go with your recommendation. Could you be any more arbitrary?

I'm assuming it's the PSU he has and that's why he's recommending it. Human nature I guess. :P

I have a 750 watt, but it wasn't because I didn't know it is overkill, I know it is. But you have to think that if you plan to keep the PC for a while down the road, what is coming out right now and what the trend is. In a few months when the 4870x2's drop in price, I plan to pick up 1 or 2 of them. Now I'm pretty sure that 400W wouldn't be suitable for that setup. The way the whole video card market is heading, seems everything is going bigger and hungrier for power, especially those x2's. Find out what you need now and for the next year or two. I thought 450W would be sufficient, then I thought about later on, and 750W was more forgiving.

Edited by shiver_8

I have a 750 watt, but it wasn't because I didn't know it is overkill, I know it is. But you have to think that if you plan to keep the PC for a while down the road, what is coming out right now and what the trend is. In a few months when the 4870x2's drop in price, I plan to pick up 1 or 2 of them. Now I'm pretty sure that 400W wouldn't be suitable for that setup. The way the whole video card market is heading, seems everything is going bigger and hungrier for power, especially those x2's. Find out what you need now and for the next year or two. I thought 450W would be sufficient, then I thought about later on, and 750W was more forgiving.

I'm sorry, but I have to rant here because what you're doing in this post is a big pet-peeve of mine. Did you even read his description of the system he intends to build? Based on your response, I think not. This is a classic example of making recommendations based on YOUR desires and not based on the desires of the person asking for advice. He says he's getting a single 3870 and you've got him considering a PSU for 2 4870x2s. How does that make any sense? How does 1 3870 turn into 4 4870s? I think that's a pretty unreasonable assumption for an upgrade path.

I have a 750W myself and I love it, but I wouldn't recommend one here because his needs are clearly different. I'm trying to give him advice based on his needs and not project my own needs and desires onto him.

That is great news for my bank account. I have seen setups with a case and Power Supply for around $50.00! I don't think I would go that cheap, but anywhere in the range of $70-100 for a PS and Case is alright by me. Do the overclockers have to use 500W and up?

Most of the time yes. Some overclockers have loads of stuff hooked up, and top of the line video cards take a lot of juice. When I bought my power supply (it was cheap) I knew 1000 was a lot for my current setup, but I knew I was adding stuff down the line. I flipped my 8800 gts for a GTX 260, added a bunch of hard drives etc etc.

One of the big reasons overclockers use higher end power supplies, aside from the fact that they may sometimes pull large quantities of power, is because (in general) they're just better PSUs. High end performance system builders (overclockers) usually are experienced with computers enough to know that the PSU is probably the most flaky component there is in a computer... having a PSU die after a month of use is really common, especially for lower quality units. My PC Power & Cooling 750W supply could probably run two systems at once, as I've never even come close to drawing 750W... but my PSU, unlike some lower quality ones I've owned before, has one of the best reliability records out there, which is exactly why I bought it.

For your purposes, anything over 500W is a waste of money, you wont even come close to drawing that kind of power.

One of the big reasons overclockers use higher end power supplies, aside from the fact that they may sometimes pull large quantities of power, is because (in general) they're just better PSUs. High end performance system builders (overclockers) usually are experienced with computers enough to know that the PSU is probably the most flaky component there is in a computer... having a PSU die after a month of use is really common, especially for lower quality units. My PC Power & Cooling 750W supply could probably run two systems at once, as I've never even come close to drawing 750W... but my PSU, unlike some lower quality ones I've owned before, has one of the best reliability records out there, which is exactly why I bought it.

For your purposes, anything over 500W is a waste of money, you wont even come close to drawing that kind of power.

Not really. There are some really amazing low end power supplies. Corsair has some great ones like the HX620. I used to have one and it was one of the best I have ever used.

Not really. There are some really amazing low end power supplies. Corsair has some great ones like the HX620. I used to have one and it was one of the best I have ever used.

The HX620 is not a low end PSU.

Generally in my experience, high quality power supplies are higher powered. Its rare to find a low power high quality PSU these days isnt it? By low I mean under 500W.

The HX620 is not a low end PSU.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way. Now low end, just lower wattage.

Generally in my experience, high quality power supplies are higher powered. Its rare to find a low power high quality PSU these days isnt it? By low I mean under 500W.

Antec earthwatts series. I have 2 of them, one 430 and one 380 and they are great. Not a single problem.

PC power and cooling is also a good brand.

Edited by l33t p1mp