Fps And Older Games

Aristotle

I have been pulling out some of my older games like DethKarz, HL, Slave Zero, and Descent 1&2 etc.. to test my system. I noticed that on some older games that it seems like there is a cap on the FPS that one may have. Here are my system specs:

Athlon 2500+ (stock speeds and cooling atm)

256MB DDR400 RAM

BFG 5700 Ultra (with up-to-date drivers)

M7NCD Pro Biostar Motherboard

Audio (integrated AC97)

Now on to the FPS:

DethKarz (800x600 32bit) - Max 74fps

HL (800x600 16bit) - Max 75fps

Slave Zero (800x600 32bit) - Max 70

I find this very strange as I do think my system can definitely get higher FPS out of these older games. Changing the games max fps setting doesn't resolve the problem. DethKarz requires maximum slow down in order for it to run at normal game speeds as without it, everything runs incredibly fast. Yet it can only get 74fps. Slave Zero looks absolutely beautiful but seems to stop the fps at 70. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, performance in older games/benchmarks isn't as high as you'd think because those programs don't take advantage of the capabilities of newer hardware. For example, having 1gb+ of ram doesn't help because the program was only designed to use like 50 megs maximum of ram. Having a high-end video card doesn't help because the program doesn't use the Hardware T&L engines, or the pixel shaders, or the vertex shaders, or all those other things that make the card fast.

A good example is 3dmark2000...has anybody run that recently? I haven't in a while, but if I remember correctly I would actually score lower on that than in 3dmark01.

Seriously, as long as i get at least 40 fps in a game consistent with nothing lower, i am a happy camper, even though my system can pump out a hell of a lot more, i am fine with 40.

well i do know for a fact that it is very difficult to get over 100 fps in hl, i turned off vsync and put "fps_max 200: in the console and it went from 72fps to 100 and stayed at 99/100 and wont go over, the only time i have seen it higher was on a winME and a win98 setup.

Seriously, as long as i get at least 40 fps in a game consistent with nothing lower, i am a happy camper, even though my system can pump out a hell of a lot more, i am fine with 40.

BAHHH CAMPER! :angry::P:bah: ...joke....

Hmm.. I find that last bit of your post hard to believe System for HL does have a cap of 100 :D. I would know I've been playing that game or a mod for the past.. oh man, this hurts... 4 or 5 years now... But hey, it's been a fun 4-5 years so no complaints here :)

Hmm.. I find that last bit of your post hard to believe System for HL does have a cap of 100 :D. I would know I've been playing that game or a mod for the past.. oh man, this hurts... 4 or 5 years now... But hey, it's been a fun 4-5 years so no complaints here :)

no, it was a screenshot, it was like 260fps

unless it was photoshopped