RAM Upgrade

Hey Guys

I am thinking of upgrading my RAM now that i have vista x64 installed now. I currently have 2x1GB of Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz RAM. Now would it be better to scrap the two and get a 2x2GB kit, or buy 2 more 1GB dominator sticks and have 4x1GB sticks. I am hesitant to go the 4x1GB's as then there would be no dual channel activated. Can someone shed some light on the dual channel vs single channel performance difference. I would preferably like to go the 4x1GB's as getting just 2GB is cheaper than buying 4GB. I am fine with upgradeability in the future as if i will probably not upgrade my RAM until i go DDR3 [New Mobo].

Cheers

Timmy94

Which model do you have?

I'd recommend Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX(2x2GB)

It comes with an Airflow fan, and is probably one of the fastest PC-8500 RAM out there. It's around 100USD.

^_^

Single Channel vs Dual Channel... Well, I didn't notice any difference from switching from single to dual when I changed the RAM, and wouldn't it be beneficial to get 2x2GB and add it on to your current to get 6GB? Call me crazy, but that's what I would do :D.

OK, so there would be no performance loss having 4x1GB, 2x2GB & 2x1GB to make 6GB.

Having different brands would'nt matter. Cause i can get 4GB [2x2GB] of Kingston HyperX 1066 for $79AUD.

Would it be ok to use the HyperX and my Dominators both at once? Or should I sell the Dom's and just use the HyperX.

And also, i think that my motherboard can only support dual channel with two sticks? Are you sure about dual channel?

Cheers

As long as you have equal amounts of memory in each channel you will be able to run dual channel.

Mixing memory won't kill you but you may have to re-tune your OC to make it work with extra/bigger sticks.

OK, so 2x1GB dominators 1066 in slots 1 & 3 will run in dual, and 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1066 in slots 2 & 4 will run in dual channel so in total i will have 6GB. The timings i can readjust and everything, but in terms of Dual channel and being able to run two different RAM Brands, it should work yes?

OK, so 2x1GB dominators 1066 in slots 1 & 3 will run in dual, and 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1066 in slots 2 & 4 will run in dual channel so in total i will have 6GB. The timings i can readjust and everything, but in terms of Dual channel and being able to run two different RAM Brands, it should work yes?

This should work just fine. You may have to make small adjustments to your OC, but it will work.

Also, double check your motherboard manual and make sure you've got the slot configuration right. You should just be able to put your new sticks in the unused slots and be fine, but it never hurts to make sure.