Top FPS's of All-Time

ClayMeow

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding....right? :huh:

lol nah, I'm not. It was the game that got me into playing PC games and also got me into playing with a clan whose members are really good friends now. and besides, I still play it every once in a while. it doesn't do too well on 64 bit though, but it's playable. :)

Updated Rankings.

HL2 & CS1.6/S are running away with the top two spots (probably not all that surprising to most of you, even if you didn't vote for them), but the battle for the remaining top five slots is really tight.

I do not really count Metroid Prime and Bioshock to be FPS. They are more like First Person Action-Adventure games, BUT... seeing as how they are being allowed I will include them because I think they completely revamped the way developers approach games. Metroid Prime, despite its ranking here is probably the funnest single player game I ever played.

If those two weren't allowed I'd pick UT, and I dunno ...gets kinda sketchy after this, I guess Quake 3. So honorable mentions. Moreso on UT than Q3.

1. 007 GoldenEye
  2. Counter Strike
  3. Half-Life 2
  4. Bioshock
  5. Metroid Prime (1)

---

Edited by Fogel

I do not really count Metroid Prime and Bioshock to be FPS. They are more like First Person Action-Adventure games, BUT... seeing as how they are being allowed I will include them because I think they completely revamped the way developers approach games. Metroid Prime, despite its ranking here is probably the funnest single player game I ever played.

If those two weren't allowed I'd pick UT, and I dunno ...gets kinda sketchy after this, I guess Quake 3. So honorable mentions. Moreso on UT than Q3.

1. 007 GoldenEye
  2. Counter Strike
  3. Half-Life 2
  4. Bioshock
  5. Metroid Prime (1)

---

I can't speak for Metroid Prime, as I've never played it, so I just have to trust people's classification of it. But as for Bioshock, it's most certainly an FPS. Unlike a game like Fallout 3 or Hellgate: London where your "aim" is directly related to your skill points/perks, Bioshock is based on your twitch skills like a "regular FPS". Just because it offers "spells" doesn't make it less of an FPS.

Doom

Castle Wolfenstein

Half Life 2

Halo

Call of Duty 4

That's my top 5 but I'd like to give special mention to Serious Sam (cheap and fun), Gears of War 1 and 2 (love that Cole!).

^ how is Bioshock not an FPS? :blink:

Personal pref I guess. To me a true FPS is just about going in and blowing stuff up, more focus on the multi-player aspect. Bioshock while using the first person view and guns is more about progressing the storyline and interacting with the environment than full on combat vs combat. Fact Bioshock is 1-player only adds to why I feel this way. When I play Bioshock I feel like I'm playing a book instead of reading one. When I play GoldenEye or CS, I feel like my goal is to take out anyone who gets in my way.

I guess I have an extra layer of organization than most people do. I can see the opposite point of view, which is why I didn't fight it. I'll still feel the same way after this poll, but that doesn't mean I can't play by the rules when in someone else's thread.

I can't speak for Metroid Prime, as I've never played it, so I just have to trust people's classification of it. But as for Bioshock, it's most certainly an FPS. Unlike a game like Fallout 3 or Hellgate: London where your "aim" is directly related to your skill points/perks, Bioshock is based on your twitch skills like a "regular FPS". Just because it offers "spells" doesn't make it less of an FPS.

Well if that is how you qualify FPS, than Metroid Prime most definitely falls within that category. ^_^ Which is a good thing because I'd actually modify my post to exclude Q3 and replace it with GoW2 instead. Almost tempted to find a place for GoW2 somewhere in my Top 5 ...especially the more and more I play Horde mode with friends. Is it too late? :P

Because at the begining you use a wrench :lol:

:lol: That was pretty good, if nothing more than for the "I didn't see that one coming".

Doom

Castle Wolfenstein

Half Life 2

Halo

Call of Duty 4

That's my top 5 but I'd like to give special mention to Serious Sam (cheap and fun), Gears of War 1 and 2 (love that Cole!).

Castle Wolfenstein was a platformer. Do you mean Wolfenstein 3D or Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

(I won't include your votes until you clarify, so I don't get screwed up. lol)

Well if that is how you qualify FPS, than Metroid Prime most definitely falls within that category. ^_^ Which is a good thing because I'd actually modify my post to exclude Q3 and replace it with GoW2 instead. Almost tempted to find a place for GoW2 somewhere in my Top 5 ...especially the more and more I play Horde mode with friends. Is it too late? :P
How else do you qualify a first-person shooter? Many FPS's have a multiplayer aspect, and it certainly adds something to a game, but the lack of multiplayer doesn't mean it's not an FPS. If the game takes place in first-person perspective, you shoot guns, and your hits are determined by your twitch skills rather than a dice roll, then how can you not classify that as an FPS? Multiplayer aside, to say Bioshock isn't an FPS because it's more story-oriented than mindless-shooting-gallery, is a little absurd. Even the Half-Life series is heavily story oriented.

You say you can "see the opposite point of view", but there aren't two views here, you're merely sub-categorizing. No, Bioshock is nothing like Painkiller, which is nothing like Farcry, which is nothing like BIA. But they're all FPS's nonetheless.

Anywho, updated thru Post #41.