PS3 or a vid card

madu

I vote a 360.

My reasons to get a 360 (I own):

1. It has a better online community

2. Easy access to get in touch with friends

3. Majority of gamers are on a 360 rather than a PS3 (personal experience, I'm the only person I know who owns a PS3)

4. Not a high chance of poorly done job of ported games

My reasons to not get a PS3 (I own):

1. Online community sucks for gaming

2. No party invite system

3. No free headset (Users must buy their own Bluetooth headset or PS2 USB Headset, or use a current cellphone bluetooth headset)

4. PSN Home is useless

5. No one plays a PS3 (personal experience from above)

PS3 has its strength in that its exclusive games are pretty much 'A' ranked games. I highly enjoyed MGS 4 and Killzone 2 (has 32 player servers, with server browser for those who say console games are limiting to player cap). Also Sony announced a game called 'MAG' that will have 256 players, I believe. Pretty much zero info about this game has been released since they announced it. It was more of a spur of the moment to try to make a comeback after losing 2 or so exclusives in that same timing. It works great as a media center, which is what I mainly use it for now. It doesn't have a very wide range of supported codecs and formats, but the 360 isn't any better. I recently discovered an app called 'Java PS3 Media Server' it transcodes all my videos for me (any container, codec, and etc). It has an upgradable hard drive, that can be used with any hard drive. Not locked to a branded (for 360s, you can use only 360 hard drives; requires modding to use others) or require modding to the system.

I'm a fan of the PS3, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they share my needs. Which the PS3 fulfills. I also have other platforms, that provide what it doesn't. So I don't hate it as much as others do :D.

Reason I left out all PC related upgrades was because I'm still gaming fine with my old 8800 GTS 640MB. I really see no need to upgrade video cards. As I don't play Crysis or any other Crytek game more than 12 hours total. No need to upgrade for a game I will only play once for story mode as multiplayer just sucks balls.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate it.

To be honest I didn't consider the 360.. mainly bcos here in Japan it is not adopted that well...

also I gave preference to PS3 because it has a BD (not that I own any BD's) player plus it can be used as a media server...

think there is a price cut coming for PS3 next month.. I'm betting on that too..

plus here in Japan they are giving away $120 for each (over 18) person as an economic stimulus... and I'm planning on putting that of mine and my wife's to the gift... if I buy the PS3, the money goes back to Sony (Japan) and I think it will be spent rightfully? :unsure:

If I do buy a vid card, probably a 260 since I own one too, he will need to upgrade his cpu+mobo.. I think a E6xxx(with P35 I think) will probably bottleneck the vid card... and if he couldnt upgrade the vid card will be in vain...

Edited by madu

Well if your in Japan, I guess that's a different story. The United States and Japan's relationship with 360 and PS3 seem reversed.

Blu-Ray movies are still pretty expensive here in the US for new releases sell for about $28. But after a few months they usually drop down to $18 online. If he likes to collect dvds (movies), it wouldn't be worthwhile upgrading 80% of his collection to BD. Some of the movies I seen that have been updated to BD have too much film grain or noise or however you want to call it. And no this isn't the kind that the director intended, because it covers foreground (on everything, not to get the background out of focus). Donnie Darko was the last Blu-ray movie I saw and it's a great movie, but the video quality with all the grain didn't make it worth purchasing. Really old movies like Patton and The Sting however come out really clean and crisp. No grain what so ever. Here are some screenshots of Donnie Darko, to show you what I mean. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?i...amp;show=review

My uncle is big into collecting movies, his has a whole closet worth of dvds. He didn't ever touch the HD players thought. Just bought a dvd upscaler and that was all he needed to enjoy his movies.

I'm not sure on the whole bottle necking deal. I used have my 8800 GTS paired with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+, then I upgraded to an Intel Quad Core and I still get the same frames per game with more power. So maybe it really isn't that big of an issue.

If you do end up getting him a PS3, here are some games I would recommend: MGS 4, Killzone 2, and Resident Evil 5 (both you will enjoy co-op). Out of those three only Resident Evil 5 has playback value for me. But that's just me. I'll come back to Killzone 2, when I get bored of Resident Evil 5, but that may be awhile.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thanks a lot mate..

I don't he will be collecting BD movies anytime soon with these prices... I have never watched a movie that is upscaled to BD.. thanks for that info man..

Yeah MGS, Killzone and RE5 are killer titles... but worried whether PS3 has only a handful of major titles... my bro and me are both not into RPG type games...

but I guess except for a handful of exclusive games, the titles are balanced for PS3 and 360?

Cheers.

Edited by madu

The main exclusive titles that 360 has is the Halo and Gears of War series, Fable, Mass Effect, and etc.

PS3 main exclusives LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, MGS 4, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, inFamous, and etc.

Most good games are multi-platform, so you don't really have to worry much about exclusives. Ex. RE5, Fallout 3, GTA 4, BioShock, Street Fighter 4, Call of Duty series, and etc.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thanks Krazyxazn.

I guess it wouldn't be a loss to spend a little extra and getting the PS3 over the 360...

but would ray-tracing make PS3 graphics sub-par when it comes out... I mean we wont see another PS(4?) for quite a some time...

Ray-tracing will make everything sub-par if it comes out. If you're seriously going to worry about that then you shouldn't buy anything right now :) It's not really something that's worth figuring into your decision.

Ray-tracing will make everything sub-par if it comes out. If you're seriously going to worry about that then you shouldn't buy anything right now :) It's not really something that's worth figuring into your decision.

yeap..true... thanks...

I suppose it's around the corner from what I see in media, but maybe suffer the same fate as PS3?

I mean PS3 has helluva power thats yet to be harnessed from the coders.. but they complaint PS3 development is difficult...

anyway thanks for the inputs guys... I'm biased towards the PS3 at the moment... I think MGS, Killzone and RE5 would justify going console over PC.. but I know its a very subjective thing...

one thing I want to know is, do the PC version usually have more levels, etc, than the console version? I'm not concerned about the online multiplayer capabilities since we almost always play solo...

Cheers.

Edited by madu

That's a tough one. Some console ports to PC do good and some do bad. Resident Evil 4 and ShadowRun were horrible on PC. But, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed were good ports. Good enough to play them without a controller, even Assassin's Creed.

As far as I know of a console port, only Gears of War had more content than the console version. But it didn't get a higher rating than the console version, which was werid. Also a reason why Epic Games isn't making Gears of War 2 on the PC.

Thanks man.

doesn't really make lot of sense to add extra content to the PC version only i guess...

I guess I'll go with a PS3 over a vid card at this moment.. still about a month ago.. but I dont see anything new coming that will tilt the scale...