Mounting a 220CFM on Cpu Heatsinks - Plz comment

Hi,

I just found out extra powerful/loud fans (pushing 220cfm @ 65db) exist!! (year Im a big nooob, i know)

What will be the effect of mounting one of these on a core contact freezer (kind of like ultra 120)????

Will it cause HS to come loose?

Will it really improve cooling performance?

How loud is 65db? and how much louder will it get when stuck against a HS??

Good idea? bad idea?

Any fans out there that could add cooling power without adding tooo much noise?

There is a point where more CFM doesn't make the cooler work any better. My guess is that that point is well before 220CFM.

If you want to get really crazy, you can use something like this:

sBigForkinFan.jpg

(The square fan is a 120mm fan, for size reference.)

It does something like 400CFM. :O I yanked it out of a server that was going to the scrap pile at work. I really have no use for it (have 2 actually), but I couldn't let it get scrapped :) I powered it up once and it makes some wicked torque. It was actually a bit hard to hold steady in my hand once it spun up.

65 dB is on par with a vacuum cleaner. Even my dual 38 dB 110 CFM fans are unbearably loud without a fan controller. If you're going insane, pick up some Scythe Ultra Kazes, they are 45 dB and 140 or so CFM. 220 is just... insane and unneccesary.

sBigForkinFan.jpg

I yanked it out of a server that was going to the scrap pile at work. I really have no use for it (have 2 actually), but I couldn't let it get scrapped :) I powered it up once and it makes some wicked torque. It was actually a bit hard to hold steady in my hand once it spun up.

I'd be the same way, I'd have no use for it at all but I couldn't can't pass up a nice fan like that no matter what...

unless your deaf, that fan will sound like you have an angry cat inside your computer.

It will vibrate like hell, and the extra half degree of cooling performance wont help much anyway.

Remember that sound doubles every 10 points on the decibal scale.

So 20 db is ten times as loud as 10 db. 30 db is 100 times as loud as 10 db, and so on.

Remember that sound doubles every 10 points on the decibal scale.

So 20 db is ten times as loud as 10 db. 30 db is 100 times as loud as 10 db, and so on.

Oh hey I didn't know that. Cool. Learn something new everyday! :D

Oh yea, and I think I'll agree with everyone here that that fan is nuts. I have an Ultra Kaze and it's . me off. I used to think my single slot HD 4850 fan was loud until I put this thing in. Now I can't tell which is louder.

Edited by malmsteenisgod