Cooling an i7 920 (OC)?

Hey guys

Anyway I am planning to build an i7 system (we'll see how things roll out) and I was wondering about cooling. What would be a good cooling solution for the system? I plan to OC it, and would preferably stick with air because water cooling is just too expensive.

So anyway, what are some good cooling systems? I plan to go 3.5-4ghz, so would this even be possible on air? I was looking at the Thermaltake V1.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with the Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 or TRUE for air cooling. You will need to invest in some high CFM fans such as the Scythe KAZE (I use the 2000 RPM ones) if you want to run 4GHz on air stable. Water is the best option for running close to 4GHz. I have 2 water cooled and 2 air cooled and I will tell you the water cooled rigs make me more comfortable even with the leak potential.

THey wont push and pull enough air for 4GHz unless he has an incredible chip that is prime stable at 4GHz and 1.25 volts.

ya but every little bit helps ;), would that be able to handle the heat from a 3.8ghz 920?

Depends on what you deem comfortable temperature wise. 80+ is not my idea of comfotable.

man that memory controller on the chip really add's some heat (and the extra load from the hyper threading)

are the i7's built for hotter than normal temps? or is this just intel's attempt us from getting too good a deal on a 920? haha

Like the 4k series ATI cards run "hot" but really they can take it so I was wondering if the i7 chips are like that.