Another Ghetto Chiller

ben333

Some of you might have seen the first one I posted. That unit was smaller and looked to be less powerful, this new one I picked up - still free - seems to have more cooling power. A larger condenser, two evaporators (water cooler and fridge) and longer gas lines are handy too.

Stock photo (home from the trash)

DSC01268.jpg

Taking the top off...

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

Now, some of you might even stop before here and just stick a pump in that stainless steel bucket but I wanted the best possible setup of getting both the fridge evaporator and water bucket evap in my coolant tank.

DSC01272.jpg

With all front panels off you can see the fridge, water bucket, quiet piston compressor and the heating tank.

Condenser shot:

DSC01273.jpg

Getting the evap off the water bucket was simple, I just had to cut off the Styrofoam around it and pull the evap off over the top but getting one out of a fridge means making your basement a bit more messy.

DSC01275.jpg

And with a razor and putty knife, this is what you get in about half an hour:

DSC01276.jpg

Right now I have everything mounted again, but the heater is removed aswell as the water dispensing valves, top and fridge. Both evaps are in the lower half ready to be stuck into a cooler when I find one the size of the fridge that was in there. I'm thinking this chiller should work fine for a CPU as my last one did. I'll be posting updates soon and more pics. :)

Pretty cool, I've always wanted to try and make a chiller from one of those...

thumbsup4kk.gif

If you have a dump near you it shouldn't be hard to find one :) This is the 2nd one I've found without trying and since I have trash pickup now I don't go to the dump much. ACs work too!

Yeah, I'll be putting the evaporator section in a cooler and pumping the water in it through my waterblock. Like a cheap phase change that doesn't get me as cold but still a lot colder than normal WC and quiet for FREE. Pics of the unit in its current state tomorrow. All it needs is a cooler to hold the evap and the antifreeze.

Edited by ben333

Well my last chiller that I suspect is less powerful than this one could freeze a gallon of water in an hour or so, so I think this one will do well. No real ingenuity here, just digging through foam, cutting plastic and taking something apart without breaking it :lol:

Here's what I have right now, all stripped with the whole evap section in the bottom half, to be dipped in a cooler. It doesn't look very sturdy but it is, its just missing all the pretty plastic.

chiller2s.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pic. I'll have to do some testing over the weekend :P

Edited by ben333