Noctua SE1366 or TRUE 120?

Limegrntaln

I tested them as delivered. The Noctua comes with 2 fans the Thermalright comes with one. That is how I tested them.

Perfect, answers my question, adding another fan to the 120 would deliver better temps by a few degrees. 1-4c likely. I completely understand testing them as delivered, but the TRUE being a better cooler since you still have the option to add another fan for even better temps. Although adding another fan and fan holder puts the price $20 over what the Noctua costs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tired of lapping them, I dont care if they come with a dozen fans....

Yeah that can be a pita, but I will only have to do it once at least. Are they that bad? And what did you use just sand paper? Im gonna have to look that up, Im still leaning toward the TRUE.

Yeah that can be a pita, but I will only have to do it once at least. Are they that bad? And what did you use just sand paper? Im gonna have to look that up, Im still leaning toward the TRUE.

Some of them are real bad, I have bought like 8 or 9 of them. Yes sand paper and a good flat surface, I used a piece of glass. 2 of them I had were real bad, I use either 240 or 150 grit for awhile just to get it flat, then, 320, 400, 600, and 800 was as far as I went...

Fans can be improved on each cooler and they both can show excellent results. Dual fans in a push pull configuration is the best solution. The fans you use is a choice only you can make. But I currently run 4 I7's, One 920 with the True and 2 Scythe Kaze fans. The Noctua with the supplied fans and 2 are water cooled.

I love my TRUE with the ultra kazes, though at max speed they are crazy loud but I bought a fan controller and turned them down all the way for everything but stress testing (even folding doesn't break 61C, and I'm sure my surface contact isn't amazing)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I liked Noctua better....best fans out there, comes with 2, easy and imo, more effecient mounting setup. This thing moves some air. I dont know why I chose it over the true, prob cause its the whol package instead of having to worry about extra fans and mounrs and stuff. Mine works real well and is quiet to boot! I really dont think you can go wrong with either.

I still run a Tuniq and to be honest I may have to start looking for a better cooler.

I am just not sold on the fact that if I buy a new cooler my temps will improve that much to warrant a new cooler.

Temps are in the high 50's at my current target clock of 3.85 ghz with this stubborn quad.

I liked Noctua better....best fans out there, comes with 2, easy and imo, more effecient mounting setup. This thing moves some air. I dont know why I chose it over the true, prob cause its the whol package instead of having to worry about extra fans and mounrs and stuff. Mine works real well and is quiet to boot! I really dont think you can go wrong with either.

Scythes are the best :P but I agree that the Noctua is nice since it's an all in one package!

I'll say this about the Noctua. The worst part of installation is attaching the fans, not mounting the heatsink. Another (admittedly minor) point for Noctua, is that it comes with a very good thermal grease to use.