Noctua SE1366 or TRUE 120?

Limegrntaln

Hello new to the forums and im trying to decide on what cooler to buy. I looked around and saw the review on these 2 done recently, but does anyone know if the TRUE was done with 2 fans? because adding another fan would make it better. Im going to buy it today if I can get the facts down, anyone have an opinion. The TRUE is a little better looking IMO

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrug... Never used a TRUE, but I know Noctua has its plusses and minuses. I've only ever used a U12DX from Noctua... they are solid, a breeze to install, cool exceptionally and come with really good thermal goop. They also feel a bit flimsy. The retention springs to me seem weak. But they work for my purposes. TRUE... all I can say is that people around here love them, but I've never used one.

Mounting it is super easy, they include an allen wrench that actually goes through holes on the fins, straight down to the screws. It makes my life easy as pie when I install them at work. The fans they give you rock also, very very silent and move quite a bit of air. Plus it comes with the Noctua thermal goop, which performs as good as AS5 and doesnt need any curing time.

They are both good, downside to the TRUE is with most of them you have to go buy sand paper of different grits, spend about 2 to 3 hours to get it flat so it doesn't fall over when you set it on the cpu, then after that you need a washer mod to make it fit tight again because you sanded a lot off to get it flat...

I like the mounting of the Noctua. I cant decide. They are pretty much neck and neck, the Noctua is quieter, but at 28db for the thermalright thats quiet to me.

You have to remember that the Noctua ships with fans, but the TRUE doesn't. The noise level of the Noctua will be equal for all of them, but the TRUE depends on what fan you use. They're both about equal in terms of cooling capacity. Also, I just looked at the review and it says the Noctua's fans push 55 CFM, that's not much at all. What would happen if you exchanged those fans for better fans? It was also stated that they were both used as delivered from the manufacturer. Now, as far as I know, the TRUE is delivered as just a heatsink, no fans. That statement then implies that the Noctua with 2 55 CFM fans was tested against a passive TRUE. If this is the case, then the TRUE is clearly the winner. I'd suggest a PM to ccokeman for the testing setup as he did the review.

he wasnt very specific on the specs of the TRUE, I will have to ask him. TRUE has a 1366 Kit that comes with 1 1600rpm (63 CFM) fan and a fan holder, for $69. SO basically you get a free fan with the Noctua, you can get another Thermalright fan and a holder for $20 more.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.html

u120e1366full.jpg

Edited by Limegrntaln

When I pushed them both as delivered they both had Identical performance on an I7 at 3.8GHZ 1.4125 volts. MY 965 is a poor clocker!

Our main question was about the fans did you test the TRUE with dual fans like the Noctua, There were no test specs for the TRUE. I saw someone ask in the actual review thread. And I asked again at the end. And I thought my 920 was bad, 1.35@ 3.8 :unsure:

Edited by Limegrntaln