Overclocking Option In A Custom Rig Configuration...

Greetings,

I am trying to customize a gaming rig, and during the configuration process I was presented with the option to Overclock my processor for an additional $45.00.

I would like to know by how much speed/performance increase [expressed in GHZ] can I expect to obtain from each individual processors below?:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHZ (Quad Core)

Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHZ (Quad Core)

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about getting the Intel Core Extreme Edition i7 965 3.2GHZ, but it seems obvious that I can save a lot more [and even achieve greater speeds, too] by getting a "slower" processor and Overclockng it!

Someone mentioned that the best option for my money would be to Overclock the Intel Core i7 920, and that my new speed would increase to 3.4-3.8GHz....

dude. read up on OCing. theres plenty of guides on this website stating exactly what its doing and how to do it as well as all the risk involved. as for 45 bucks for someone else to OC it - yea thats umm to say the least...CRAP - do it yourself AFTER you have done ALOT of reading on the subject.

Good figure! BTW, I feel much comfortable letting someone else OC it for me and paying them a small fee.

nah I hear it's really easy with the 920, you pretty much change a few small settings and you're good to go. Just ask around, did you already buy it or are just asking for the future?

Good figure! BTW, I feel much comfortable letting someone else OC it for me and paying them a small fee.

Do you realize that if you pay them to OC it, you'll have no idea how it works? What if you have to reset the CMOS at some point? Or what if you change your configuration? As soon as you have to touch anything in there you're not going to know how to handle it and your OC will be gone. If it ever gets unstable you won't know how to fix it.

Why not just learn how to do it yourself so you can keep it running in the long run?

I mean you're at OverClockersClub.com for Pete's sake! Of course we're all going to tell you to do it yourself! Where's the fun in just cutting a check and having someone else do it?

Do you realize that if you pay them to OC it, you'll have no idea how it works? What if you have to reset the CMOS at some point? Or what if you change your configuration? As soon as you have to touch anything in there you're not going to know how to handle it and your OC will be gone. If it ever gets unstable you won't know how to fix it.

Why not just learn how to do it yourself so you can keep it running in the long run?

I mean you're at OverClockersClub.com for Pete's sake! Of course we're all going to tell you to do it yourself! Where's the fun in just cutting a check and having someone else do it?

You are absolutely correct in that I should make the effort to do this myself, and as a matter of fact I will too!!!! Fear is the primary reason that is stopping me from doing this. Not only am I worried about causing major damage, but I also understand that my warranty coverage would be at risk too.

You are absolutely correct in that I should make the effort to do this myself, and as a matter of fact I will too!!!! Fear is the primary reason that is stopping me from doing this. Not only am I worried about causing major damage, but I also understand that my warranty coverage would be at risk too.

Processor warranty will be void no matter who overclocks it.