At Hikers/campers

CelticaFLM

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey if you get lost, it may be all you can scrounge up. I don't know how good of a hunter/tracker you are though...be prepared for the worst and enjoy the best. :D

If push comes to shove I could probably find myself a rodent or two...being able to throw it on the fire is another thing :unsure:. Oh I will have a fishing line and hook. I can eat the heck outta a fish.

If push comes to shove I could probably find myself a rodent or two...being able to throw it on the fire is another thing :unsure: . Oh I will have a fishing line and hook. I can eat the heck outta a fish.

Don't forget to download the iPhone app for editable plans and insects. :D Oh, and you might also want to get the list of poisonous spiders, toads, and snakes app... :D

I've also still got the US:SF pocket field guide you can use... it covers necessities like urinating on your feet to prevent and treat foot fungus. ;)

Don't forget to download the iPhone app for editable plans and insects. :D Oh, and you might also want to get the list of poisonous spiders, toads, and snakes app... :D

I've also still got the US:SF pocket field guide you can use... it covers necessities like urinating on your feet to prevent and treat foot fungus. ;)

I lol'd... :withstupid:

Thanks so much dear....i'll be sure to slow down long enough to check every spider I run into...you know how much I love them. And when you squat to pee..you normally get a bit on your boots anywho.

::remind me to smack you when I get home::

Thanks so much dear....i'll be sure to slow down long enough to check every spider I run into...you know how much I love them. And when you squat to pee..you normally get a bit on your boots anywho.

::remind me to smack you when I get home::

Wouldn't u usually smack him when u get home? I think that's why hes doing it cus he knows hes gonna get it anyway.

:ahem: Anyway....any hiking gear suggestions? I'm talking tried and true stuff.

Tennis shoes are out for the mountains. A good, well broken in set of hiking boots is a must. I'm completely and utterly sold on Asolo brand, but there are dozens of good ones Merrel and Vasque come to mind.

Carry a cell phone, but keep it turned off and packed away for emergencies. There's a fairly large number of people on the trails who are offended by them. No use in . people off if you're going to spend a lot of time on the trails.

Go to a sporting goods store that knows something about hiking to get a decent internal or external frame pack if you're going to be out for more than a couple of days. I'm old, and have always been more comfortable with an external frame, but most choose internal these days. If you don't know how to adjust them, you will be in a great deal of pain in no time at all. You can get them cheaper online, but having someone who knows the ins and outs of adjusting them is worth the extra bucks.

If you plan on going backwoods at all (and there are many, many places on the AT to do this), read one of the great LNT books that are out there. You may check with local hiking clubs for LNT lectures and seminars.

Obtain paper topo maps and a compass....and be sure you know how to use them. Even if you're carrying an electronic GPS, the batteries never die on a map.

I could go on and on about this. For most of my life, backpacking has been one of my major passions.

Edit: As long as you don't hike in GSM NP, bring one of these with you:

packfitting3.jpg

Edited by Double Density

@ DD

Hah my hiking boots now are well worn in...had them since I was 14. I'm actually planning on buying a new pair of Columbia...hopefully they will be here in time for me to break them in a bit (doe eyes at D3). I'm also planning on buying an internal frame pack. So you think external is more comfortable?

No need to worry about the cell phone...i'm one of those hikers that despise them. I'm going to nature to get away from that stuff. Yes...I love my iphone...but not THAT much. I only have it to call in case of emergencies...the GPS is in case I get lost...or....don't come back lol. It has been a while since I used an actual compass. Do you have one that you prefer? I will be sticking to the white blazes so the compass is only for an emergency.

I'll have plenty of maps..there's so many of them out there. My gal pal's fiance has done the entire trail twice so i'm sure he has some that he can let us use.

Did you use a hiking stick? I personally don't like them but I thought it may come in handy for protection etc.

What food did you typically pack?

Also, did you carry a camp stove? I really like the looks of the Jet boils...but they are a bit $$$$$

lol...I don't think my weiners would appreciate the hike.

Edited by CelticaFLM

@ DD

Hah my hiking boots now are well worn in...had them since I was 14. I'm actually planning on buying a new pair of Columbia...hopefully they will be here in time for me to break them in a bit (doe eyes at D3). I'm also planning on buying an internal frame pack. So you think external is more comfortable?

No need to worry about the cell phone...i'm one of those hikers that despise them. I'm going to nature to get away from that stuff. Yes...I love my iphone...but not THAT much. I only have it to call in case of emergencies...the GPS is in case I get lost...or....don't come back lol. It has been a while since I used an actual compass. Do you have one that you prefer? I will be sticking to the white blazes so the compass is only for an emergency.

I'll have plenty of maps..there's so many of them out there. My gal pal's fiance has done the entire trail twice so i'm sure he has some that he can let us use.

Did you use a hiking stick? I personally don't like them but I thought it may come in handy for protection etc.

What food did you typically pack?

Also, did you carry a camp stove? I really like the looks of the Jet boils...but they are a bit $$$$$

lol...I don't think my weiners would appreciate the hike.

Compass: Just about any decent liquid filled compass. I used the same Silva I've had since Scouts, but they all do the job.

I started out with external frame packs back in the seventies, and just never made the transition. On the trails, the only people you ever see with external packs are old timers. Internal frame really does give you a lot more control, but it comes at the expense of a more finicky setup. Plus you can lash things to a frame easier than leather lash points on a pack.

I didn't start using walking sticks until I hit my thirties and haven't stopped since. They weren't "fashionable" back then, but at least with long distance packers, they're the norm now, not the exception. They make a huge difference both up and downhill. Downhill has always been a bit of an issue for me, and the control they add is phenominal. The one I use has a head that screws off to turn it into a photographic monopod....dual duty is always nice. I only use one because I invariably have a dog on my left.

Food varies greatly with how many people are out, how long a trip, and the logistics of resupply. It's changed a lot as I've gotten older and fatter too. Back in the day, I needed a ton of calories to keep going. So, lots of beef jerky, dried fruits, nut and the like to eat while walking...not at camp. Particularly during the summer, you can't put enough in your stomach to keep your weight up while you're moving up and down slopes with a forty pound pack. Only eating at rest stops just didn't give me enough energy to go on for a complete day. I've known people who carried frozen sticks of butter with them to suck on while hiking. Serious ick factor there, but it's amazing how many calories you can burn. On a short trip with no resupply, camp food is generally things that weigh nothing, but become substantial with water. Oatmeal, rice, powdered eggs, powdered milk, cereals etc. Lots of things that pack well and are reasonably temperature stable like peanut butter and bread. When the logistics allow for it though (particularly on the AT where there's a wonderful network of Trail Angels), camp food becomes more like picnic food. Steaks, burgers, the sky is really the limit as long as someone can port it to a trailhead for you.

I've been using a small butane stove for the last fifteen years or so. The weight is minimal, it always starts and they're pretty cheap. In the eighties, it was an MSR stove that was a pain in the neck to prime and ignite, required bottles of white gas, and was the object of more cursing than Sepethrea in Mechanar.