At Hikers/campers

CelticaFLM

So I'm planning some weekend...overnight...etc hikes on the Appalachian traill. Just wondering....any other hikers here? AT or otherwise. If so...share stories...strategies...trail names etc!

My trail name has been decided...Nightstar...more so because I'm more of a night owl than a rise and shine day hiker.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hiking Powerline Pass in Anchorage, Alaska several years ago, and about 15 minutes into the hike I heard some russelling in the thick Birch tree bushes surrounding the trail. A "small" brown bear popped out of the brush about 10 yards in front of me and stopped on the trail to stare me down. It was the size of a VERY large dog and caused further brownness in my drawers. I put my hand on my Dan Wesson 357 Magnum strapped to my hip in anticipation of the bear charging me. It didn't and went on about it's merry way to the other side of the trail and disappeared into the woods. I stood in place long enough for a nice crust to form on my boxer shorts, and continued my merry way down Powerline Pass!

So I'm planning some weekend...overnight...etc hikes on the Appalachian traill. Just wondering....any other hikers here? AT or otherwise. If so...share stories...strategies...trail names etc!

My trail name has been decided...Nightstar...more so because I'm more of a night owl than a rise and shine day hiker.

Hike on over to my state.. The trail goes that far. :P

Planning a family reunion with the rest of the hairy baboons are you? :P

ooohhh ouch bosco you're mean....we're western states and coastal hikers/campers....i have a little ranch over near williams az that we use for home base from time to time but never ventured east of the rockies....have a blast out there though...!! :thumbs-up:

I was hiking Powerline Pass in Anchorage, Alaska several years ago, and about 15 minutes into the hike I heard some russelling in the thick Birch tree bushes surrounding the trail. A "small" brown bear popped out of the brush about 10 yards in front of me and stopped on the trail to stare me down. It was the size of a VERY large dog and caused further brownness in my drawers. I put my hand on my Dan Wesson 357 Magnum strapped to my hip in anticipation of the bear charging me. It didn't and went on about it's merry way to the other side of the trail and disappeared into the woods. I stood in place long enough for a nice crust to form on my boxer shorts, and continued my merry way down Powerline Pass!

LOL...i'm not brave enough to hike Alaska. I've been there...and encountered many bear and moose....HUGE ones.

Bosco...bite me...ya big chicken.

Comp...one of these days...i'll be doing the whole thing :).

I section hiked the whole AT over the course of a couple of years, and a couple of dozen individual backpacking trips in the eighties. I've always wanted to through hike it, but doubt I'll ever be able to devote that much time to being in the woods.