Simple Ram Question

mgsmid

i have pc 6400 and a q9550 and i want the get one thing straight. the cpu is at a 1600mhz fsb or 400x8.5 and my ram is 400x2 so in this instance there is no way to get my cpu fsb any faster without faster ram, correct? (excluding overclocking the ram)

next quetion. Is there any benefit to having unused fsb overhead with ram .example. im getting some 1066, if i run my cpu at a 400mhz fsb as i understand it to be I will see zero performance gain without upping the fsb on my cpu is this also correct?

i have pc 6400 and a q9550 and i want the get one thing straight. the cpu is at a 1600mhz fsb or 400x8.5 and my ram is 400x2 so in this instance there is no way to get my cpu fsb any faster without faster ram, correct? (excluding overclocking the ram)

next quetion. Is there any benefit to having unused fsb overhead with ram .example. im getting some 1066, if i run my cpu at a 400mhz fsb as i understand it to be I will see zero performance gain without upping the fsb on my cpu is this also correct?

What are your system specs?

You can get your FSB faster withought better ram but you may run into stability issues.

I'm not sure what your second question is asking. I think your asking about getting better ram but running it at lower speeds.

if you get some ddr2 1066 and run it at ddr2 800 you won't notice much of a difference maybe a stability increase. Sometimes depending on your FSB you cannot have your ram running at the correct speeds. But closer is better

If your running an AMD system the ram is auto linked to the FSB(for lack of a better way to put it)

First - yes, you're exactly correct. You have to OC your RAM to get higher than 400x8.5.

Second - in general this is true. You can run your RAM faster than your FSB but you won't see much benefit from it. The real benefit comes from being able to run a higher FSB without overclocking the memory, assuming your board can go higher on the FSB.

What are your system specs?

You can get your FSB faster withought better ram but you may run into stability issues.

I'm not sure what your second question is asking. I think your asking about getting better ram but running it at lower speeds.

if you get some ddr2 1066 and run it at ddr2 800 you won't notice much of a difference maybe a stability increase. Sometimes depending on your FSB you cannot have your ram running at the correct speeds. But closer is better

If your running an AMD system the ram is auto linked to the FSB(for lack of a better way to put it)

intel q9550 E0 40c load @3.4ghz, 750i ftw, 1x1024 corsair xms2 4-4-4-12 @ 5-5-5-18, evga 9800gtx+, pc power and cooling silencer 750w, and a windy case

my question is, will i see better preformance with 1066 ram than 800 or will my cpu fsb be the real factor in the equation. (im planning to take the fsb to 450x8.5, but just thinking hypothetically do you think i would see better preformance running ddr2 1066 with a cpu fsb of 400x8.5

my question is, will i see better preformance with 1066 ram than 800 or will my cpu fsb be the real factor in the equation. (im planning to take the fsb to 450x8.5, but just thinking hypothetically do you think i would see better preformance running ddr2 1066 with a cpu fsb of 400x8.5

You will likely see zero increase in normal use with faster RAM at the same CPU/FSB frequency. Faster RAM will let you run your FSB at higher speeds (which obviously translates to faster CPU speeds as well).

wow, first things first.

you only have 1 GB of RAM? o.o

but back to the point :D

If you want to push your CPU overclock further without breaking the RAM,

set the multiplier at it's highest (i'm assuming you did that) and lower the FSB:RAM divider.

For example: you can set your FSB at 450x8.5 (to get your CPU up to 3825MHz) and change the divider to 9:8 to keep your RAM running at 800MHz. You'll have to play around with the dividers that you're mobo gives you. Good luck :thumbs-up:

intel q9550 E0 40c load @3.4ghz, 750i ftw, 1x1024 corsair xms2 4-4-4-12 @ 5-5-5-18, evga 9800gtx+, pc power and cooling silencer 750w, and a windy case

Your CPU clock speed will be the real factor in the equation. You will see much less performance at 400x8.5 than you will at 450x8.5. Never sacrifice CPU speed for RAM speed, because CPU has sooooooooo much more to do with performance. Max the FSB, and you can always set your RAM divider to whatever you like. Basically, 1066MHz ram doesnt have to run at 1066MHz.

Depends on your motherboard and the RAM dividers it has.