Ati Video Card Bios Flashing Guide

ir_cow

yeah I just looked and there is a few bootable flash utilities that you can use HERE

or HERE

I would not recommend using these for any flashes related to the 4 series since they have a different size bios and the latest version of ATIflash was around when 4 series were about to come out so I think it may not know how to transfer the 128kb bios on there and will only transfer half

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i flashed it with a usb dos (thanks for the link but i found one while digging around). it seems it's a no go, CCC and GPU-z says its 100% a firepro but the benchmarks still run like a normal 4670. even more odd is that the bios has no set ram (when it boots it checks to see how much) yet it only says 256mb...

well this theory isn't busted but rather ATi got smart and you can no longer flash normal gaming cards to the workstation counterpart (might be why no driver hacks have work yet).

anyone got ideas? i'm thinking about just reflashing back and selling the card since i have no use for it.

well i flashed it with a usb dos (thanks for the link but i found one while digging around). it seems it's a no go, CCC and GPU-z says its 100% a firepro but the benchmarks still run like a normal 4670. even more odd is that the bios has no set ram (when it boots it checks to see how much) yet it only says 256mb...

well this theory isn't busted but rather ATi got smart and you can no longer flash normal gaming cards to the workstation counterpart (might be why no driver hacks have work yet).

anyone got ideas? i'm thinking about just reflashing back and selling the card since i have no use for it.

idk I've never did the workstation conversion, but have always been interested (hence me lending a hand)

but other than what we've tried, I haven't a clue

i think ati got smart and "disabled" the firegl part (if thats really it) kinda like burning out pipelines on the old agp cards? because before the only thing that stood between the two was Ati drivers. both gpu-z and CCC truly thought it was a firegl, no error or anything..just didn't run like one.

kinda bums me out, i wanted to flash a 4850 2gb card :(

i think ati got smart and "disabled" the firegl part (if thats really it) kinda like burning out pipelines on the old agp cards? because before the only thing that stood between the two was Ati drivers. both gpu-z and CCC truly thought it was a firegl, no error or anything..just didn't run like one.

kinda bums me out, i wanted to flash a 4850 2gb card :(

wait so you CAN flash it successfully, it's just the driver's that are denying it being the firegl right?

Isn't there anywhere like guru3d that has modded drivers for workstation cards?

i can flash it and the drivers seem to work fine just when it comes to spec benchmark its the same as a unmodded card so flashing it becomes pointless i think.

i also think its illegal to distribute modded drivers...but im not sure.

i also think its illegal to distribute modded drivers...but im not sure.

I think Guru3d openly mods drivers (but for performance increases, not for softmods). I don't see why it'd be illegal if noone's making any profit (though ATI would be losing some :D)