1366 Cooler

Well the cheapest without sacrificing quality would be the Asus Triton 81. Looks cool and is better than the stock by a bit, but honestly, is not gonna help with a descent overclock. If you plan on overclocking, you pretty much have 4 that I would chose from

1) Noctua NH-U12P 1366 - The Best hands down. Push-Pull format and great maunals and design. from $67-85 dollars and HARD to find.

2) Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 1366 - A very close 2nd, $60-65 dollars and easy to find.

3) Coolermaster V8 - descent for mild overclocks, looks kick-ash. $50ish depending on site, easily found

4) Vigor Monsoon III LT - OK, looks cool, again for low OC if any - $49 or so dollars

For air cooling, you generally get what you pay for. If your planning on overclocking, then Id go with one of the first 2 mentioned above. If no oveclocking, then the Asus or 3 or 4.

Hope that helps.

Sammich

Well the cheapest without sacrificing quality would be the Asus Triton 81. Looks cool and is better than the stock by a bit, but honestly, is not gonna help with a descent overclock. If you plan on overclocking, you pretty much have 4 that I would chose from

1) Noctua NH-U12P 1366 - The Best hands down. Push-Pull format and great maunals and design. from $67-85 dollars and HARD to find.

2) Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 1366 - A very close 2nd, $60-65 dollars and easy to find.

3) Coolermaster V8 - descent for mild overclocks, looks kick-ash. $50ish depending on site, easily found

4) Vigor Monsoon III LT - OK, looks cool, again for low OC if any - $49 or so dollars

For air cooling, you generally get what you pay for. If your planning on overclocking, then Id go with one of the first 2 mentioned above. If no oveclocking, then the Asus or 3 or 4.

Hope that helps.

Sammich

couldnt have said it better myself.

Honestly, I, we actually, just moved to i7 and they run hot... really hot.

There's a review up with the Noctua/TRUE and shows that even the top end air cooling struggles at keeping i7 cool. Don't expect miracles from any of them, but whatever you choose, it'll outperform stock cooling for sure ;)

Edited by Zertz

Honestly, I, we actually, just moved to i7 and they run hot... really hot.

There's a review up with the Noctua/TRUE and shows that even the top end air cooling struggles at keeping i7 cool. Don't expect miracles from any of them, but whatever you choose, it'll outperform stock cooling for sure ;)

I'm glad I stil have my Stock cooler to my E8400 or I'd be buying something else for it as I planned to reuse my TRUE on my i7 rig.... How hot are the i7s anyway.... damn..... What's tha TJ max on them let alone the highest temp you should maintain on them?

Edit: Crap upon reading that review and some others.... I've concluded that 4ghz might not be possible on these 24/7 on air due to the high load temp... Unless someone here got a i7 on air 24/7 and its not a problem.

Yeah, how hot can they run. I've noticed that they seem to run very hot...would a phenom 2 be better for a higher overclock for 24/7?

Maybe, most likely not. I'd go with the phenom 2 720 instead, that way you get to use a cheaper board, ram and processor itself.

Maybe, most likely not. I'd go with the phenom 2 720 instead, that way you get to use a cheaper board, ram and processor itself.

dang it Kuronin, I've already gotten your propoganda on the 720...lol...But I'm curios if they are made so they can run hot or not. Anyone know?

I would imagine they're designed to run hotter. I mean load with good coolers is ~60C. That's pretty high. I can't imagine what the stock coolers are like. But their thermal specifications are 35W higher than the Core 2 Quad line. 35W is a lot of extra energy converted to heat that needs to be dissipated.