Lapping Log

I lapped my E8400 a couple weeks ago, and I thought I'd share my results with you all. I know its a bit late but meh :P I was better prepared to do it this time, lapping up to 2000grit (this was my 2nd attempt ever at lapping a proc). So here ya go:

Unlapped (actually I made like 6 passes before remembering to take the before photo):

IMG_0042.jpg

400 grit:

IMG_0044.jpg

800 grit:

IMG_0046.jpg

1500 grit:

IMG_0049.jpg

2000 grit:

IMG_0053.jpg

I lapped the CPU to 2000, the heatsink to 2500, and replaced my old Zalman goop with a new thinner layer of AC MX-2 goop. The result of that 12 hour job (I was watching an awesome movie marathon on tv, otherwise it would have taken 2) was a whopping 13 degree celcius drop in temperatures :D

Hope you like it!

Edited by ebarone

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes me want to lap my Q6600. I wish I could de-lid it like I did with my old Opty.
From what I gathered you can...

Its just soldered on and requires quite a bit more finesse than the cpus of yesteryear...

HERE IS A GUIDE

Edited by Andrewr05

Yea sorry about the last picture... theres a better one but the clarity of it makes it look worse haha. Theres a big scratch across the top that isnt visible except when a camera takes a flash photo of it, but it looks kinda nasty.

And yea... my cores were running at 66 degrees during prime95... after that whole process, they were at 53. I've since overclocked my proc more than that, so they're back up in the 60s on the cores, but I wouldnt be there now if I hadnt lapped :D

Is your signature updated to reflect the new OC and voltage? Also, what were the IHS and HSF looking like before lapping? Were they warped to the point you could see it without a straight edge?

The first photo (the "before" photo) was taken after I think 30 up and down passes. The edges of the IHS werent significantly higher than the center, but they were by no means level. The HSF was already perfectly flat, but not as mirror smooth. It was weird lapping it, since it looks like this, I ended up just taking a square piece of glass, taping a wet peice of sandpaper to it, and running that back and forth over the upside down base.

The settings I have in my sig are for 24/7 use, I've booted at 4.32ghz but it was unstable.

To get it to 4.32 I had to up the voltage quite a ways, approaching 1.4v, but I couldnt really get it stable (granted I didnt try all that much). I made it through a SuperPi 32M test and I topped at 67C in the cores, around 62 for the cpu overall (t_case I think its called?). The need for so much more voltage discouraged me from really pushing too much harder, but if you guys request it I'll see what this baby can do :P