Water Cooling: The Battle Plan

ocmooz

Now that I have finally decided to water cool my computer, done a little bit of research (thanks Radodrill! :lol: ) and done some shopping around I think I need to open this up for a double check. I'm pretty sure the components I have chosen for this project are good, a few are recommendations from Radodrill's post, and the rest are me just poking around for the best price on a non-specific product. I also need some help with the layout and perhaps a link to a good guide on setting this kind of stuff up, since all I seem to be able to find via google is broken links and "How to hook up this Uber 1337 external WC Kit thats totally ineffective" type articles <_< .

Lets see... first off is the list of parts:

CPU block- D-Tek Fuzion V2

NB block- Danger Den Maze 4

GPU block- D-Tek Fuzion GFX 2

GPU chip sinks- Custom 9800GTX Cooling Kit by iandh - Silver

Pump- D-Tek db-1 (read that this was a good pump a couple of places)

Radiator- Swiftech MCR-220

Fans- Xigmatec XLF-F1253 (I already have these)

Shroud and case mount- Custom Designed (and milled by me, yet I still need to do this) out of a piece of plastic that was left over from a bathroom stall door. :P

I plan on using plastic hose clamps and barbs (no corrosion or accidental shorting-outs), Tubing will be 1/2" Tygon and distilled water with biocide (as per Radodrill) for coolant.

:O Now comes the time for everyone to laugh at my lame excuse for a cooling schematic:

post-63946-1233280675_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know... paint. *sigh* I just wonder if this looks right, my only experience with liquid cooling is on cars, and that being the repair of said systems not the design.

So any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated and thanks is given in advance for any advice given. :thumbs-up:

Edited by ocmooz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm on my way out the door to go to work, but looking over it real fast parts look good to me. And that graph looks better than anything I would have come up with in MS paint lol

I'm on my way out the door to go to work, but looking over it real fast parts look good to me. And that graph looks better than anything I would have come up with in MS paint lol

have a good night at work you noob!

isnt the loop backwards? I always thought the flow should go to the CPU > NB > GPU > rad > T-line/res > pump.. could be wrong thoug (if so I need to re-do my system...)

Those are some of the best water cooling parts on the market. Not the absolute best, but they will do the job. Now as for the loop, I'd take the NB out of the equation, placing an excellent aftermarket cooler for it will do your system overall much better, it will eliminate an unnecessary heat source that the cooling system will have to deal with. Then, this is in my personal experiences, I'd put the cpu flow ahead of the gpu, you don't want warm water flowing to your cpu, created by your gpu. And if you plan to overclock both the cpu and gpu, it will create a lot of heat for the double 120mm rad to handle. I have been able to control the heat in my systems before with just a dual 120mm rad, but it ran hot for benching, and extended hrs of gaming. So, I have two independent loops for my system, one for the cpu and one for the gpu. Good luck on your system. The Tygon hoses are excellent hoses, they do not kink on extreme angles.

Edit: check this thread out for more insights on your build, I hope it will help out, aloha

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394

Edited by Voltes_5

isnt the loop backwards? I always thought the flow should go to the CPU > NB > GPU > rad > T-line/res > pump.. could be wrong thoug (if so I need to re-do my system...)

Ha! i know about as much about water-cooling as air-cooling. :blink:

I was just wishing one of my favorite people a good night at work. :thumbs-up:

I'd go res > pump > rad > cpu > gpu > nb

I'd agree with not bothering to cool the NB as well though. If you do though you might want to consider bumping your rad up to a 120.3.

Another night of babysitting phones and browsing the internet :)

Your loop needs to be reversed. The CPU should the first stop after the pump. It should go pump > CPU > GPU > radiator > pump. Forget the northbridge, it's a waste of money to put a block on it. Just put a better fan or even a fresh air cooler if you want. Unless you plan to do some serious OC'ing, you won't need it. You may want to consider going to a 320mm radiator as well.

:O Wow! Thanks guys I'll ditch the NB and redraw my sketch. Now I'm trying to get this straight :wacko: I should either have it go from pump>cpu>gpu>rad or pump>rad>cpu>gpu??? And if I'm prolly not going to oc my gpu since its almost unstable at stock settings right now (hoping for an rma). I just want to be able to keep this thing cool running 4GHz daily in the summer-time for gaming and such. I'm really surprised that I picked out ok components too, too bad most the places that cary the good stuff at good prices are always out of stock. Well I'll keep working on this, since there really is no hurry, when I can and maybe I'll pick up my radiator this week so I can make my custom shroud and show it off to you guys. ^_^

EDIT:I think that link just answered 90% of the rest of my questions! Thanks soooo much Voltes_5

Edited by ocmooz