Water Cooling: The Battle Plan

ocmooz

OK Well I plan to use this thread as my progress and build post too, because it never hurts to let others see you fail. :D Here is an update on the battle plan thus far.

Parts:

CPU block- D-Tek Fuzion V2

GPU block- D-Tek Fuzion GFX 2

GPU chip sinks- Custom 9800GTX Cooling Kit by iandh - Silver

Pump- Laing D5 Vario

Radiator- Swiftech MCR-220 (on its way)

and after reading numerous threads on this subject I have decided that zip ties will work just fine for hose clamps.

Now for the questions:

Is the order really all that critical as long as I keep the cpu before the gpu? (I'm a bit visual so it might take a crude word diagram such as t-line>pump-out>rad>etc.)

I noticed the block I chose is an impingement type. Will this pump be sufficient for me to get full results out of it? Or should I search for a non-impingemnet style?

Will dying the coolant cause problems? (I want to use I technique I saw elsewhere where a guy used orange highlighters here's that link)

Progress: ordered the radiator!

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress and thanks again for all the help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adding anything to the water will lower the cooling capabilities somewhat. But things like PT nuke -PHN and Pentosin will add benefits that will make the slightly lower cooling ability worth it. IMO I wouldn't bother with any dyes for superficial reasons. I think there is a company that makes colored tubing though. That way you get the unquie look and not suffer any cooling ability.

Yeah I read this great article that says I want my pump to give more head than flow. :lol: That sounded bad, but whatever. I am going to use a biocide in my distilled water, I just don't know if coloring the water with highlighters is gonna affect it adversely if at all. I really like the look of those tubes and they would look awesome with my fans (I'm kinda doing an all orange and white case if you can't tell) and I already changed out my power lights for amber ones.

Edited by ocmooz

:blush: OK here is an update on the flow plan. I want to know if I can use a Y splitter instead of a T.

HowIPlanToPlumbMyCase2-1.jpg

Its explained in the picture here, I hope this is explanatory enough to comprehend. I still need to know if my block will be ok with this pump and whether or not highlighters (water soluble) will adversely affect my coolant. Thanks all around. :thumbs-up:

EDIT: :lol: lmao just found the MSDS sheet for the highlighters I want use to dye the coolant in case anyone needs to know the composition and other stuff. I know, I know... such a nerd am I.

Edited by ocmooz

• 2 weeks later...

Your flow path should be

Rad out----T or Y line---pump in/out----CPU-----NB---GPU----rad in

Some may like putting the Rad right before the CPU but having done it both ways I did not see a difference. The T or Y line needs to go on the inlet side of the pump.

On the D5, the centre/front barb is the INLET, and the top barb is the OUTLET

I would agree with Frank's flow path (because the CPU block needs the most pressure)... and just add that it doesn't matter if it's a T connector, you won't get back flow anyway since one side is pushing and the other is pulling, the top part to the fill port isn't doing much so the liquid won't move that much... it certainly won't spurt out the T-line when you turn the pump on... the resulting loss in pressure will push the liquid up the T-line when you turn the pump off... this is pretty minimal unless you have a huge loop

I'm not a thermodynamic engineer or anything...but won't pump placement have no effect on the flow to the cpu? The flow will be restricted to the smallest part of the loop anyways.

Edited by Raiderfan001

Your flow path should be

Rad out----T or Y line---pump in/out----CPU-----NB---GPU----rad in

Some may like putting the Rad right before the CPU but having done it both ways I did not see a difference. The T or Y line needs to go on the inlet side of the pump.

So I can use a Y line, but there really is no reason to other than it might look/fit or bleed better?

On the D5, the centre/front barb is the INLET, and the top barb is the OUTLET

I do have that in there that way if ya look between the pixels. :P

And thanks for the replies, this makes a bit more sense to me than some of the articles I have been reading. Not sure when I'll get more parts but I have the radiator at least and I've designed and programmed my custom fill port. Also, I just finished milling the first three sides of my NB cooler. B:)

Edited by ocmooz

I've designed and programmed custom fill port. Also I just finished milling the first three sides of my NB cooler. B:)

What do you mean by designed and programmed a custom fill port? And you're making your own NB cooler?