Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight Retention Bracket

Baulten

I'm ordering this CPU cooler soon, and I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not the included retention bracket works with AM2/AM2+ sockets or just LGA 775/1366. If it won't I'll just order the standard s1283...

Here's the cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233024

Edited by Baulten

From what I understand, the Dark Knight version is identical to the normal model, except its got a black coating of paint and comes with an LED fan. So I would venture to guess the same mounting hardware comes in the package for this as in the standard... I've got no idea whether or not the standard comes with AMD mounting hardware though.

Well, the regular version does not include the backbrace and stuff, from what I read. I know they both have the standard clip attachment method, but the Dark Knight edition includes a retention bracket. I think it's only for the LGA 775 and 1366, though.

As for the heatsink, yes, they are identical, except for color. I'd actually wager that the regular one performs slightly better because it doesn't have the black coating.

Well, the regular version does not include the backbrace and stuff, from what I read. I know they both have the standard clip attachment method, but the Dark Knight edition includes a retention bracket. I think it's only for the LGA 775 and 1366, though.

As for the heatsink, yes, they are identical, except for color. I'd actually wager that the regular one performs slightly better because it doesn't have the black coating.

I doubt it performs much better if any, it's special thermal transmitting paint. Atleast I'd assume it is, I've never heard of people saying that my TRUE black performs any worse than the standard silver TRUE.

According to frostytech, the Dark Knight is slightly outperformed by the normal one, but by basically an insignificant margin.

It says on the Newegg specifications page of your cooler that it works with the AM2 socket out of the box, or are you asking if they sell an aftermarket AM2 retention bracket?

http://www.xigmatek.com/product/accessory-...w-adk-i7754.php

I think thats one, but I'm way more ignorant to how AMD works than I should be, sorry.

Apparantly the backplate is only for 775.

pdf manual link

According to frostytech, the Dark Knight is slightly outperformed by the normal one, but by basically an insignificant margin.

It says on the Newegg specifications page of your cooler that it works with the AM2 socket out of the box, or are you asking if they sell an aftermarket AM2 retention bracket?

I think thats one, but I'm way more ignorant to how AMD works than I should be, sorry.

ouch, sucks for anyone buying that edition :lol: (even though I'm sure I'm in the same boat with my cooler)

Oh, dang. I was asking if the included backbrace was AM2 compatable, but it looks like it's for LGA 775. I want to find a good backbrace retention brakcet for AM2 instead of using the standard clip-and-go method. I'll browse around the Xigmatek website. That one you linked is for using AM2 heatsinks wiht LGA 775 :P

Not that I've found... I'd really like one, it'd be more stable and have better contact. Nearly all just seem to clamp on to the stock bracket, which is good, but I don't think it has a backbrace.

Edit: looking at the back of my board, it comes with square backbrace already. Not sure if all AMD's are like this though.

Edited by Baulten

Not that I've found... I'd really like one, it'd be more stable and have better contact. Nearly all just seem to clamp on to the stock bracket, which is good, but I don't think it has a backbrace.

Edit: looking at the back of my board, it comes with square backbrace already. Not sure if all AMD's are like this though.

I see no way for an AMD bracket to be functional as the only reason Intel brackets work is because you screw them on through the board which I know is impossible with current AM2 sockets and most likely all other AMD sockets without unscrewing some important stuff first.