How Long Should I Wait For The Thermal Compound To "cool"?

mikozee

Everytime I look at a thermal grease, I can't help but be reminded of those white, elmer's glue I used to paste papers together back in elementary school. And anyone who ever used those knows as much as I that those things would get very messy and wet. Mostly the latter of the two. Anyway enough nostalgic anecdotes.

Is there a "cool" down period for thermal grease? I know what these things are capable of and what they were designed to be, but I still can't help but think that a little heat can melt it away. Can I fire up my PC as soon as I'm done?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No... as soon as the thermal grease is applied and the heatsink is in place, you can boot up the computer.

Some, like Artic Silver 5, have a "set up period" during which the grease will break apart finer and finer and conduct heat better. It's of no concern for regular use, though. Only might get you a few more MHz once it's fully set up, if you're overclocking

Do you mean between the time when you apply the grease and when you put on the heatsink, or between when the heatsink is on and when you turn on the comp? If that made any sense haha. In either case, you dont need to wait at all, fire that bad boy up.

As I have said before, you don't NEED thermal paste at all. Your PC will start up and run perfectly fine without any, albeit just a bit warmer. So having said that, it's absolutely perfectly 100% fine to fire up your PC during the "settling period" for your thermal compound. In fact, the instructions for AS5 (which has a particularly noticeable break in period) specifically say that heat cycling is important. So they're not only saying it's OK, they're encouraging it. :)

i've never been patient enough to be able to wait. if im applying new thermal paste it usually means im in a good mood (upgrades) =]

even so i use as5, and the "warm in" process idk what the heck it really does, maybe some chemical change, but really no noticable difference.

if your reffering it to the glue like it seems runny and needs to dry then you have used WAY too much, only a grain of rice is necessary.

and depending if it has spread some are conductive so be careful. (i hope this isnt the case, no offense if it isnt)

I strongly disagree with this statement.

As I have said before, you don't NEED thermal paste at all. Your PC will start up and run perfectly fine without any, albeit just a bit warmer...

Under no circumstances should thermal paste be left out.

Your words will be seen by thousands of eyes and misinterpretation is inevitable.

Given the correct circumstances (flat cpu and flat heatsink) a processor (at stock speeds) would run fine without any TIM.

After all TIM is exactly that, a material used to thermally interface 2 or more objects with the intent to increase their thermal efficiency...

It of course isn't recommended to use no TIM, but given the right circumstances it can be done in a bind.

Under no circumstances should thermal paste be left out.

Your words will be seen by thousands of eyes and misinterpretation is inevitable.

Please explain how my post could be wrongly misinterpreted. Are you saying you NEED thermal paste? Because you don't. I've run several rigs without it and they work fine. I think your words are the ones with risky interpretations because they propagate the myth that thermal paste is mandatory.

As I have said, I can't think of any good reason NOT to, but that's doesn't mean you HAVE to.