My First Overclocking Experience And Maybe My Last :(

Ok so i just got AI booster last night because it was desinged to work with my motherboard and ok I probably shouldn't have done this because i got stock fans on my cpu but that wasn't the problem. I was looking through AI booster trying to find out where you cna change the voltages and such of my processor, I finally found them and thought to myself "I i just raise the frequency to 210mhz it wouldn't change to much and won't make it heat up to much" without thinking that the multiplier is set at 15 normally so i was increaing the cpu speed by 150mhz which was alot more than what i thought it was going to be..... anyways i changes the frequency to 210 from 200 and clicked apply now i didnt change the voltages and i didn't change anything else and my computer froze ok this wasn't pt bad i just re-started my computer and everything was working good now i don't know what happened but the cpu frequency changed from 3.0ghz (normal speed) to 3.15 ghz (what i changed it to) and my cpu couldn't handle that well i think it was because i didn't change the voltage at all and my comp bluescreened and crashed. i didn't think much of it at first and i restarted my computer and everythign was looking good and i din't think to check my cpu speed so sureley enough it bluescreened again and i rebooted it again but htis time i checked the bios and checked the cpu frequency but didn't realise that it was working at 3.150 ghz not 3.010. So it kept blue screening so i decided ot turn my computer off and let it cool down and i just turned it on agian about 1hour ago now and it bluescrened again so as i was turning it on the second itme i checked the bios again and this time i realised it the freqency was rong so i went back to ai booster and fixed the frequency back to what its spose to be and YAY my comp hasnt bluescreened..... yet. Well thats my first overclocking experience and i think next time ill w8 to get liquid cooling and ill learn alot more about overclocking before my next attempt. XD

In my experiences with overclocking I have read many guides that do not, I repeat, do not recommend oc'ing with software. So I never did OC my cpu's unless I do it within the bios. Now do not be discouraged if you ran into a roadblock like you did, I had some similar incidents when I first started and many of us here did too, I'm sure of it. Now, just reset your bios, I'm pretty sure there is an instructions on your manual, I suggest you follow it. Then read up on this guide here. ALOHA.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656

Edited by Voltes_5

Oh come on don't let one bad experience stop your from something great. One of the first things you did wrong was you were trynig to OC in windows. The best and easiest way to OC is through the BIOS.

As for your AI booster. after each time you change settings it should require a restart for any of the changes to take effect. If this was not happening you were doing something wrong. Did you by any chance have an ASUS board? During your restarts is when changes should have actually accored so while you thought you were resetting everything you were actually changing your settings. This is why your frequency increased, so you were actually using your previous OC. Some MOBO need to do different things in order to change settings, for instance some will restart 3-times for any changes to take effect. This could have been why you were getting the BSOD.

As for when you have an OC that isn't stable, you will need to clear your CMOS. There are multiple ways of doing this, some MOBO's have CMOS buttons, Some have switches. The most common ways are to use jumper cables, or to just pull out the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

I agree, try doing it in the BIOS. Just bump the freq up to 210 in BIOS and change NOTHING else. With any luck you should be able to run that stable without bumping the voltages up. Also, keep an eye on your temps, try using speedfan or another temperature monitoring program.

Oh, and if you have an AMD board, disable Cool'n'Quiet.

Uh wow, I bet you didn't change your memory, you kept it at 4:5 to FSB(Thats what mine was set to when I got my board).

You can't just overclock your CPU, you have to also do your memory. Like lets say you have 667 memory(like I do) when/if you go to 3.33ghz then you have to set the memory on 667, you find this option avaible in the Bios in an Asus and it says DRAM Frequency.

Ask Smith about it, he knows all about overclocking :)

Edited by Darkfuneral1337

Bumping it to 210 should not make the system freeze up, I got 225 FSB with stock voltage before I had to go into BIOS to change anything. Overclocked RAM will make the system less stable, but should not be necessary at 210 FSB

People say that a lot, I am not sure why. I had no problems at all overclocking my Biostar 790GX in windows using the overclock utility. Not only that, it helped me get my feet in the water and understand how to overclock. Granted it's somewhat limited, but before I started playing with the overclock utility I was sitting at my computer in BIOS screaming "what the heck! MY PROCESSOR RUNS AT 2.2GHZ NOT 200MHz! THIS IS BULLSHIET!"

Good times.

Software OCing makes it too easy to change things you don't understand. Getting into the BIOS forces you to learn and understand what you're doing, which is the only real way to OC successfully. If you don't understand the settings you're changing, how do you plan to fix it when it doesn't work?

Software OCing makes it too easy to change things you don't understand. Getting into the BIOS forces you to learn and understand what you're doing, which is the only real way to OC successfully. If you don't understand the settings you're changing, how do you plan to fix it when it doesn't work?

You're right. Was that a question? Did you expect a response? If you did not, please ignore the following:

I am going to avoid the question and and point out the Plethora of BIOS options. Most of them are described vaguely, some of the options are misplaced, and worst of all is the "Auto" setting so that you never know what the default is.

It's very confusing.

I am going to avoid the question and and point out the Plethora of BIOS options. Most of them are described vaguely, some of the options are misplaced, and worst of all is the "Auto" setting so that you never know what the default is.

It's very confusing.

So?

Read the manual. Ask questions online. Research. Learn.

I repeat: If you don't understand the settings, then you don't really know what you're doing, and you're not really overclocking, you're just fiddling. People that do this give real overclockers a bad name. They just crank random settings up and don't look back, and then when it finally dies, they just say "OCing sucks!". No, messing with things you don't understand sucks. B:)

Learning about BIOS settings is not hard if you take the time. Software overclocking has it's place, but it should not be used for permanent overclocks. At most, it should be used during testing phases to save tedious reboots to the BIOS (like in the case of ClockGen and such).

Ok i would just like ot say this I will deffinatley try overclockign again but after i've saved up and bought ym cpu watercooling system, so then i know im not going to overheat my cpu and it gives me alot more time to research overclocking some more. I am using an Asus system but when i go into the advanced seetings in my bios i can only chage the cool & quiet setting, the AMD live settings (btw what is AMD live) and the dram settings and when i go into the dram settings it confuses me even more... I don't think it has anything to do with my cpu XD. But yeah that was why i was using software ot overclock plus the AI booster was a programme that ran with the mobo type (brand) so i thought it would be better to use, I;ve seen other programmes used to overclock cpu's that didn't work with my motherboard ( I don't know how ot explain it rly XD). If someone could tell me wy my bios won't let me change all the settings than that would be greatly apreciated. Oh and btw its an Asus m2n-sli motherboard.

I just wanted to add this the only thing about overclocking my cpu that confuses me alot is the voltages. When do i increase the voltage and by how much? Is there a certain intival of Frequencies when i should increase the voltage? and lol last thing If my computer blue screens and won't turn on again, what has happened and what have I done to my pc. Those are my main worries tbh and would like ot clear those things up asap. Ty again

Edited by Sworn_Vendetta