Artic Silver Or Ceramique?

polabear

if it gets into your CPU socket, you have a serious problem. a friend of mine actually managed to do this once and almost killed a Q6600. luckily i was there to save his AS5 B:)

How do you get thermal compound in a cpu socket? Does he wear a helmet?

How do you get thermal compound in a cpu socket? Does he wear a helmet?

lol i've held his hand through every stage of his build, but he got impatient when his quad arrived and tried to install it himself. basically he didn't remove the old (white silicon) thermal paste still clinging to the cooler, and then applied the AS5 liberally because "i figure too much is better than not enough right?". when i arrived it was a heinous mess and he didn't even realise what was wrong.

so yes it can happen, and you don't even need to be retarded.

Yea, I wouldnt worry about whether or not a compound is conductive, capacitive, or whatever. Its just goop on the top of your processor... just watch what you're doing to make sure it stays there and you're good.

The AS5 has a cure time, the Ceramique doesnt... I dont know exactly what that means, but if I had to guess, I'd say you'll need to wait for the AS5 cure time before overclocking if thats your intention. Otherwise you'll reach your temp ceiling way faster than normal, only to see your temps go down slightly later. So between the two, I'd go Ceramique. If I was going to be an ubernerd and make a list though, I wouldnt put either one in my top 5 thermal compouds list. I <3 my MX-2, the Zalman STG1 worked great (and application was AWESOME!!!) before I lapped, and we use Noctua at work for our bank of number crunching 24/7 @ full load comps.

I use AS ceramique. I bought the big 22gram tube for 7 bucks on newegg before all these new pastes came to market. a degree or 2 worse than a few of the others but its cheap. I cant count the number of cpu's ive used this tube on.

Yea, I wouldnt worry about whether or not a compound is conductive, capacitive, or whatever. Its just goop on the top of your processor... just watch what you're doing to make sure it stays there and you're good.

The AS5 has a cure time, the Ceramique doesnt... I dont know exactly what that means, but if I had to guess, I'd say you'll need to wait for the AS5 cure time before overclocking if thats your intention. Otherwise you'll reach your temp ceiling way faster than normal, only to see your temps go down slightly later. So between the two, I'd go Ceramique. If I was going to be an ubernerd and make a list though, I wouldnt put either one in my top 5 thermal compouds list. I <3 my MX-2, the Zalman STG1 worked great (and application was AWESOME!!!) before I lapped, and we use Noctua at work for our bank of number crunching 24/7 @ full load comps.

Artic Silver 5 becomes more heat conductive as it sits. It takes up to 200 hours to set up fully, but temps drop up to 5C, sometimes more. Definitely a nice change.

However, I slapped AS5 on and was immediately able to overclock my Phenom II to 3.6 GHz with ease and still keeping temps under 60C. I adjusted my heatsink and now they stay under 55C. Within a month they'll be below 50C, I bet. Maybe I can get some higher clocks after that.

No clue. When I first put AS5 on my Athlon X2, my temps were at upper 20Cs. I was seeing temps below 20C after just two weeks.

you can make AS-5 "bed in" using prime95 then switching off and cooling down for a bit then starting again instead of waiting 200 hours

Interesting. Although I have to wonder whether or not its worth the wait, because like you said, it takes a couple weeks before it gets optimal, which would mean to me I'd have to wait a few weeks to overclock as high as possible. Of course, if its 5C less than other compounds after 2 weeks, then definitely thats worth it, but if it starts at 5 or 6 higher than other compounds and then sets to yeild comparable performance, then meh.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the comments, links and suggestions! I will probably go ahead with the AS Ceramique as I have it already and need to go on with this build. I will post my results on this new gaming machine I'm building. I will be doing some new things with this build such as raid 0 and sata devices. I will come back here for suggestions and help. Thanks again. :D