Reallly Noob Question

Ok Guys, i gave my 2 8800gts to a friend cos i received 9800gtx+s. They apparently worked fine for a few weeks then he got Pink artifacts and they just dont work anymore. He says its because i was using them in an Overclocked system. And by overclocking my cpu (q6600) from 2.4 to 3.2. It increased the PCIE voltage to damage them. BUT they worked fine in my system for over a year. Any Ideas? BTW I have a EVGA 680i with a 850w psu, he has a xfx 680i LT with a 550w he wasnt using them sli he was wating for a new psu so he was just using one 8800gt.

Ok Guys, i gave my 2 8800gts to a friend cos i received 9800gtx+s. They apparently worked fine for a few weeks then he got Pink artifacts and they just dont work anymore. He says its because i was using them in an Overclocked system. And by overclocking my cpu (q6600) from 2.4 to 3.2. It increased the PCIE voltage to damage them. BUT they worked fine in my system for over a year. Any Ideas? BTW I have a EVGA 680i with a 850w psu, he has a xfx 680i LT with a 550w he wasnt using them sli he was wating for a new psu so he was just using one 8800gt.

The PCIe voltage should be completely separate from any CPU voltage...(you shouldn't have to change that anyway)

Were you overclocking the cards themselves?

The people that choose to go as far as they can with overclocking graphics cards do so by physically modifying the graphics card to up the specific voltages...

If they were working fine for a year with you it's hard to believe that you did anything wrong. Has he overclocked them at all? If he has that is probably the reason. How hot is it getting and how high did you clock them?

It was probalby him doing something wrong and not wanting to admit it. I've seen pink artifacting on comps with that are overheating, with GPU's clocked way to high(usually the memory and shaders), and ocasionally when the GPU is not seated correctly. This could be a sign of a dying GPU at that could be the case if you've had it Overclocked extremely high for the year you had it, or if you just got a bad one, but i doubt it.