$1000 Budget Gaming Computer

TEK_Speedy

Well, I've tossed my head around in Core i7 information, Intel Quad core .etc. I'm pretty confused. On one side I end up with a cool Core i7 configuration but with only enough left over to get a Radeon 4870 (1GB).

On the Quad core side, things are "slightly" better, with the possibility of rolling with a 4870X2.

I have to say, I must suck at this or something. Can anyone help provide me with a decent build configuration for $1k? I'm looking for gaming purposes only, whatever I can squeeze by with to get the highest gaming performance possible.

Just one note, I don't need a power supply, already have a 650W PSU as a spare. Also, I picked out a Lian Li case which is $89.99, so i guess that makes the budget about $910 actually, bleh.

Help is extremely appreciated, as I'm mentally exhausted from sitting on Newegg/Tiger Direct for the last 8 hours looking up and comparing things and figuring out finances .etc.

Edited by TEK_Speedy

So future games coming out in the next year or two wont be utilizing 4 cores?

Right, so I made 2 builds here, which one would do better for gaming? Each totals to around the $1k mark.

Core 2 Duo build:

duo.jpg

Core i7 build:

quad.jpg

Edited by TEK_Speedy

I would go for the first build but why would you get an Nvidia chipset? Go with a nice P45 board or X48 if you want to go crossfire later.

I7 shows almost no improvement in gaming and get 2x2gb or ram.

Edited by Jenova69

I would go with the first build. but swap out the board to a nice P45 or X48 board.

Either Asus, DFi or MSI should do well there.

I would up the ram to 2x2GB.

If Gaming is all your gonna do, Id give the i7 stuff a miss.

As they always say, NEVER buy the first of anything.

There are currently VERY few games that will use more than 2 cores, and the ones that do, will still run very well on your Dual Core.

I think you would see more FPS from getting the X2 over the i7.

Lol Damian, the RAM you posted doesnt scream budget.

Anyways, here's what I came up with:

dfi.jpg

Look good?

Looks really good. Do you already have an optical drive?

Also, if you are getting a new case, I would go with this over the centurion 5 for the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119152

Might just be because I would prefer to have a bottom mounted PSU, but they're both very good cases, especially for the price.