3dmark06 Score 5% Lower In Vista Than Xp

Kingfisher

With the same hardware and same overclock I recieved a 10847 in Vista compared to 11271 in XP.

The only difference is I went from 2GB to 4GB RAM.

I made sure to run 10 hours of stability testing with each of my overclocks in XP and Vista so I know I am stable.

Sure 5% is not a big deal but would you folks have any advice on how to increase performance(besides higher overclocks) when running the benchmark in Vista?

IOW should I have certain processes turned off or am I being too worrysome?

With the same hardware and same overclock I recieved a 10847 in Vista compared to 11271 in XP.

I made sure to run 10 hours of stability testing with each of my overclocks in XP and Vista so I know I am stable.

Sure 5% is not a big deal but would you folks have any advice on how to increase performance(besides higher overclocks) when running the benchmark in Vista?

Welcome to Vista, get a faster cpu and add another video card for crossfire. If I did not have to have it for crossfire x and DX10 I would have stayed with XP...

Thanks road-runner.

My motherboard supports PCI Expressx16 1.0

How much difference would a newer PCI Express 2.0 board help?

I am looking at perhaps upgrading to the Q6600 or E8400 wolfy later on in the spring.

Since I am married to my current video resolution I don't think I need a second video card.

Current PC handles my daily dutites more than adequately but I just love tinkering with my hardware for a cheap price.

Thanks road-runner.

My motherboard supports PCI Expressx16 1.0

How much difference would a newer PCI Express 2.0 board help?

I am looking at perhaps upgrading to the Q6600 or E8400 wolfy later on in the spring.

Since I am married to my current video resolution I don't think I need a second video card.

Current PC handles my daily dutites more than adequately but I just love tinkering with my hardware for a cheap price.

I dont think you will really see any difference, not enough to justify buying another MB. Vista just takes more to run it, I always get lower scores with it compared to XP.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome to vista world :D It is perfectly normal to get lower score on 3D mark. btw i got bigger score with my old E5200 @4ghz http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2898/zleeeel1.jpg :P

Edited by edimen

Pfft, Vista is soooo last month, Windows 7 is the cool thing now.

At least my 3870 can beat someone's I got 12170 in 06..... Though I do have a quad core..... Why don't you people post your scores in The_Smith's 3DMark competition thread?