Is On-board Sound Good Enough?

redtigerdragon

Unless you've got golden ears the speakers/headphones you are using have about 100x more distortion than your sound card will ever put out (unless you're clipping it of course).

I've yet to find a real comparison of the newer sound cards versus newer onboard sound. Aside from sound to noise and output levels not many show anything appreciable in terms of differences playing the same source material.

Well, I'd happily say that my X-Fi external 5.1 card is way better than the integrated sound in my Dell laptop. Onboard sounds lifeless, flat and empty. Every Creative card I've owned has always enriched my music to no end.

Plus, I've had three other people comment that it sounds way better than the onboard sound too - particularly through my Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you happen to be deaf, you will hear a difference in a good soundcard versus onboard. Just having the chip on a dedicated card, gets rid of the static and noise from onboard sound.

Exactly my point! If you happen to listen to music that has lots of quieter spots, like classical for instance (good way to audition speakers and headphones is to vary the music style of course), you instantly benefit from less white noise. The difference for me was like night and day.

Another example was when watching The Dark Night on my laptop - particularly the scene where the truck that the Joker is in is flipped over. Onboard sound made it feel like a cardboard box had hit concrete, while the X-Fi external USB made it sound exactly like how I imagine a truck flipping over to sound like - deep bass and defined crashing noise :)

I could list dozens of other examples, but that would get boring quickly.

I was told the on board sound was great on the newer mother boards too. So I lived with my on board sound on my DFI LT P35 for 3 weeks. I think it has the Realtek ALC885 on the Bernstein audio module. Somehow it did not sound as good as my older computer that had an X-Fi Xtreme audio card. So I pulled the card and installed it in the new rig that has Klipsch THX speakers and I heard what I was missing. Night and day my friend. There is no way the on board sound gave me what I hear now. And I have enough power now for a block party with no distortion. Do what you want but if you can afford it go with a top end sound card. Let your computer do the computing but have the sound card bring the music to your ears.

Edited by ronbo191

Exactly my point! If you happen to listen to music that has lots of quieter spots, like classical for instance (good way to audition speakers and headphones is to vary the music style of course), you instantly benefit from less white noise. The difference for me was like night and day.

Which is why I said sound to noise ratio and headroom are the only things that are usually improved upon with a discrete card. :P Obviously it's an audible difference if the board has a ton of crap coming through because of interference.

With matched levels (below clipping) I'd put good money that very few people could pick out decent onboard versus a full sound card in a blind test.

With matched levels (below clipping) I'd put good money that very few people could pick out decent onboard versus a full sound card in a blind test.

I agree, while there is some difference, it is ever so slight. I usually just buy a cheapo sound card anyway.

Which is why I said sound to noise ratio and headroom are the only things that are usually improved upon with a discrete card. :P Obviously it's an audible difference if the board has a ton of crap coming through because of interference.

Well, as I mentioned with the film - the difference was stark. The same was applicable to my old rig, where the onboard had zero white noise. Upgrading to the hotrodded X-Fi was not just an improvement upon SnR - it was indeed like light (edit: night) and day.

On that logic, you suggest that soundcards are more or less all the same as a source of audio. Would you say the same about separate CD players in a custom setup?

Uhmmm, y'know, just FYI, it's night and day

I realised that after posting. I was distracted by my colleague while writing it and confused myself. Day and light are more or less the same thing of course :lol:

:withstupid: I've been saying this for a LONG time!

I do believe there are people out there that can tell the difference, but I also think there are a LOT of people out there experiencing a placebo effect who would never be able to tell the difference if you secretly switched them back to onboard.

:withstupid: I've been saying this for a LONG time!

I do believe there are people out there that can tell the difference, but I also think there are a LOT of people out there experiencing a placebo effect who would never be able to tell the difference if you secretly switched them back to onboard.

Easy, plug in a good set of headphones and you can hear hissing from on-board audio.