4000mb Of Memory = 2814mb Of Memory?

I have 4000MB of RAM installed but my computer "sees" only 2814MB according to DxDiag. Anyone have any ideas of why this is so and if there's a way to correct it.

You also can look inside BIOS, not sure what motherboard you have, and check to see if there is a setting like memory remapping or something similar that you have disabled that won't alow full use of your installed RAM.

Yes XP can't "see" more than 3.25gb or so but you might want to check BIOS to be sure.

Good luck.

32bit os see 4gb memory addresses total, that includes system ram and pci/pci-e cards. Depending what's in the system it can see anywhere from 3.5gb to 2gb out of 4gb (for gpu setups 2gb+ cards).

Memory remapping or memory hole bios settings might help a bit but you really need a 64bit system to really use anything past 3gb.

I think yo're running Vista 32 Bit which can only support up to 3.25GB of memory. If you want to use your RAM to it's potential, you should upgrade to Vista 64 Bit. (64Bit is the way of the future) ^_^

Stop spreading lies. 32bit addresses 4GB of memory.

Stop spreading lies. 32bit addresses 4GB of memory.

Yes, 32-bit OS's can address 4GB of RAM, but it won't get utilised because some components are memory mapped. The more in your rig, the more 'address space is used and the less you have for random access; hence why the amount of a 4GB kit that will show up on a 32-bit OS is different for different setups. You won't be shown or able to utilise all 4096MB of your RAM.

If you need help, go here.

Edited by nVidia_Freak