Lapping Questions

DLS2008

Well, here it is, I have a Q9450 running at 3.52 GHz at 1.264V according to CPU-z. I'm averaging about 60C across all four cores (each core is above or below 60C, but when all four are averaged together, I get 60C) under 100% load from four threads of Prime 95. I'm thinking about lapping the Zalman 9700 and the Q9450's IHS to try and lower temps. I was to try and squeeze 3.75 GHz to 3.9 GHz out of it. I know I still have some room on the voltages, both VCore and NB. I'm just worried about the temps as the thermal specification is around 71C I believe. Would lapping both help my temps? Also, I may try out Artic Silver Ceramique or another thermal paste instead of the stuff that came with the 9700, but first I'll just try a thinner, smoother application of the Zalman stuff. Anyways, what do you guys think about what I want to do?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check flatness & the contact patch of your IHS & also the 9700 - if it's not that great, you may see a couple of degrees benefit by lapping them.

You'd be better off fitting a better cooler AND lapping the IHS.

Check flatness & the contact patch of your IHS & also the 9700 - if it's not that great, you may see a couple of degrees benefit by lapping them.

You'd be better off fitting a better cooler AND lapping the IHS.

What do you mean by fitting a better cooler and lapping the IHS? The 9700 is a pretty good cooler, not as good as a TRUE I don't think, but only a few degrees off. I would lap both if that's what you were referring to.

I checked quickly with a ruler across the diagonals and perpendiculars and it looked pretty good when I first installed it. However, the ruler was an older plastic ruler and may have not been perfectly straight. I guess I'll go ahead and try and lap them over Winter Break from college. I mean I have 3.5 weeks off, what better to do than tinker with my rig, right?

What do you mean by fitting a better cooler and lapping the IHS? The 9700 is a pretty good cooler, not as good as a TRUE I don't think, but only a few degrees off. I would lap both if that's what you were referring to.

I checked quickly with a ruler across the diagonals and perpendiculars and it looked pretty good when I first installed it. However, the ruler was an older plastic ruler and may have not been perfectly straight. I guess I'll go ahead and try and lap them over Winter Break from college. I mean I have 3.5 weeks off, what better to do than tinker with my rig, right?

The 9700 is not bad - but probably on the limit for an OC'd quad. I've used one on an older B3 stepping Q6600, lapped, & was getting into the low 70's under sustained Orthos load, with ambient temps in the mid-high 20's (Celcius). Granted, your Q9450 shouldn't generate as much heat as the Q6600 though.

Well, here it is, I have a Q9450 running at 3.52 GHz at 1.264V according to CPU-z. I'm averaging about 60C across all four cores (each core is above or below 60C, but when all four are averaged together, I get 60C) under 100% load from four threads of Prime 95. I'm thinking about lapping the Zalman 9700 and the Q9450's IHS to try and lower temps. I was to try and squeeze 3.75 GHz to 3.9 GHz out of it. I know I still have some room on the voltages, both VCore and NB. I'm just worried about the temps as the thermal specification is around 71C I believe. Would lapping both help my temps? Also, I may try out Artic Silver Ceramique or another thermal paste instead of the stuff that came with the 9700, but first I'll just try a thinner, smoother application of the Zalman stuff. Anyways, what do you guys think about what I want to do?

IF you lap the processor, you lose your warranty, and only gain 1c or 2c temp drop is that really worth losing the warranty, id just lap the heat sink if it needed it, but it probably does not, lapping a heat sink is a waste of time if you ask me, unless it has a really bad finish, and your really wasting your time, and maybe your money if you lap a prosessor. If your that worried about the heat start water cooling at least that will get you a 10c degree drop, as opposed to 2c drop and a voided warranty.

IF you lap the processor, you lose your warranty, and only gain 1c or 2c temp drop is that really worth losing the warranty, id just lap the heat sink if it needed it, but it probably does not, lapping a heat sink is a waste of time if you ask me, unless it has a really bad finish, and your really wasting your time, and maybe your money if you lap a prosessor. If your that worried about the heat start water cooling at least that will get you a 10c degree drop, as opposed to 2c drop and a voided warranty.

Well, first I don't have the money right now to go water cooling; however, I do have the time to lap. Second, how long is the warranty for? Ohh... darn it, for once I hate NewEgg. I just looked and the warranty is for 3 years, not one like I thought. If it was one, I would have gone and done this because I'm pushing 9 months with it already. Hmm... now I need to rethink this. If I remember correctly, Zalmans are know for being really flat and true most of the time, correct? I don't think there's a point in lapping the Zalman.

Artic Silver 5 FTW. I am very pleased with the results of lapping and AS5 on my CPU and cooler as well as my NB and SB. Stock the cpu idled around 58c and hit 65c under load. The cpu now idles at 30-38c depending on ambient temp and it never goes over 55c under load regardless of ambient. As for the NB and SB they dropped about 5-8c for both as far as I can tell, well at least I can hit 4GHz now where as I couldn't before. I usually just use 220->400->600, but have been known to go the extra 2 steps of 800 and 1000. Good luck if you try it and remember, don't blame us if it goes wrong, we're just trying to help. :thumbs-up:

well not sure how much the lapping worked on my pc but after i got my custom kit clocked at 3.7 ghz on my q9550,idle temps are 28 c,load temps wont exceed 42 c or so,drops down to 40 on load when running prime for hours,

on stock settings idle at 20 c and wont exceed 34 c on load.very happy with my results with lapping/and a custom water cooled kit instead of the thermalcrap