Cpu Cooling Advice

lbmagic

Ok i am completely new to custom computers and the idea of over overclocking. I need to know what the best CPU cooler would suit best for my Quad Core 2.82GHz 1333FSB which i plan to overclock. I was thinking a Triton 79? It seems that it has pleased many people but i'm simply just not convinced what is best. Also if anyone can help me with overclocking this CPU it would be really handy.

PLEASE URGENT HELP!

Thanks heaps for the advice but could explain this to me?

Intel processors are notoriously concave: ie not flat. for heat to transfer between the metals of the heatsink and processor (integrated heat shield aka ihs) optimally, they need to be in good flat contact. Lapping is a term coined by the method of sanding the metal piece of the processor until it is flat, and usually smooth. the smoothness is more for bragging. the flatness is the goal. :thumbs-up:

quad cores put out more heat than dual cores, and if it cant get the heat out well, your not going to overclock very well.

Whats your budget? How deep do you want to get into overclocking? the true is a good choice, so is the tuniq tower, and on the budget oriented the arctic cooling freezer pro 7. with some lapping it can perform decently and is quite cheap

Edited by RHKCommander959

"Lapping" a cooler means taking fine grit sandpaper and grinding the block that to give it the flattest surface possible to get more surface area on the CPU. This should get your CPU temperatures down. If you want more info there is a guide here with a better explanation. If you dont want to spend much money on a CPU cooler then get a Xigmatek S1283, great perfomance for a great price