Maximum Overclocks Achieved Using A Q6600 G0

AR-fatality

what are the highest ocs u guys have acieved using a Q6600 and what volts adjustments have u made. I know Core i7 will be released soon and they offer much higher performance and mem bandwith but i cant spend that much so will using a Q6600 at 3.2~3.6Ghz be good enough for gaming? Im currently using a Thermaltake V1 and a Gigabyte Nf650SLI mobo, will it go that far with a Q6600 and will the cooler be sufficient enough at those speeds? Help appreciated

Yea, the Q6600 will be a good choice (good performance for the $$$ spent!). I clocked mine to 3502MHz 24/7 using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and 1.45 Volts I think. Don't quite remember, it's been a while ;)

You may need a BIOS update for the 650i to support the Quads though.

Yea, the Q6600 will be a good choice (good performance for the $$$ spent!). I clocked mine to 3502MHz 24/7 using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and 1.45 Volts I think. Don't quite remember, it's been a while ;)

You may need a BIOS update for the 650i to support the Quads though.

Yeah i updated my bios to the latest bios version but do u think my 650i can do 3.5 24/7 on a Q6600? Has anyone had any experience ocing this processor on a 650SLI chipset mobo?

unless you have a really stubborn 1.325V VID CPU with a concave IHS, 3.4-3.6 GHz is doable... mine needed ~1.59v for 3.6GHz and therefore water to cope with the heatload, but that's like a worst-case scenario...

on a different motherboard (X48) I can only run it at 3.4GHz either because of the mobo or because it's on air now... probably motherboard since i ran it on air on 680i to begin with at 3.6

unless you have a really stubborn 1.325V VID CPU with a concave IHS, 3.4-3.6 GHz is doable... mine needed ~1.59v for 3.6GHz and therefore water to cope with the heatload, but that's like a worst-case scenario...

on a different motherboard (X48) I can only run it at 3.4GHz either because of the mobo or because it's on air now... probably motherboard since i ran it on air on 680i to begin with at 3.6

Unforunately I have a 1.325 VID Q6600 and it kind of sucks. I keep mine clocked at 3ghz because of the ambient temp in my dorm room is around 80F. But I must say that the thermaltake V1 is great. When I was at home it kept my cpu at room temp when idle and only went up about 10-15C more on full load. Just pray that you get a low VID cpu. By the way, buying OEM will probably increase your odds of getting a high VID so buy retail.

me too.

anyone have a list of places you can still get hand picked stepping at? last time i was shopping hand picked, i was doing 939 sockets, ordered retail and got a bad stepping. a 'cabbage' chip.

Edited by robAP

I had a few of them and the first one was the best! 1.55V got me all the way to 4G stable on water with the temps hitting 65C. I also had a great clocker which I was able to suicide screen shot at 4160Mhz and 1.55V. However the new Q6600 suck in the OC department. I had a recent new stepping and all I was able to do was a 3.6Mhz and this was with the same voltage the above was able to go 4G.

I had a few of them and the first one was the best! 1.55V got me all the way to 4G stable on water with the temps hitting 65C. I also had a great clocker which I was able to suicide screen shot at 4160Mhz and 1.55V. However the new Q6600 suck in the OC department. I had a recent new stepping and all I was able to do was a 3.6Mhz and this was with the same voltage the above was able to go 4G.

What board were you using?