Best Cooler For E8500

Timmy94

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an E8500 @ 4 GHz with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme...idle temps 36-37 . While gaming 50-52. It's a great cooler.

What's your vCore and other settings?

Not that I think I'll notice the extra 0.2GHz, but it'd be nice to break the 4.0GHz mark :)

im a watercooling guy, howevevr used to be on air back in the socket-A barton days.

I've thought about air becuase with the OC'd voltages we see now being the stock voltages 5 years ago, the case for water might not be there soon and I've shopped around for air solutions just to see whats happening. I just fouund something the other day in one of my magazines.

CPU magazine just tested the Zerotherm Zen FZ120.

article

in brief:

put it on a qx9650 overclocked to 1.4v, 3.66ghz. 38c idle, 63c load....and thats on a quadcore. they said its some of the lowest temps they've seen on that type of cooler. on an e8500 that uses HALF the power to begin with will produce less heat than their test CPU at equivalent voltages andd clcocks. now the e8500 does clock much higher, but will its heat output be equal to that quadcore at its max OC? personally i dont think so but i do not know for sure. either way, it sounds like that one would work for your application.

but honestly, the well known and relied on companies should do just fine for air cooling....as long as the commpany is known for a product that is not too oversized and gets in the way of other necessary components. I want to use all my ram slots. I want to use all my sata sockets or header plugs if i need to. Anything that gets in the way will just be another headache of a cooler. so the reliable commpanies we have used in the past will probably work for this application.

Edited by robAP

I know nothing about this HSF at all, looks very 'gimicky', but 72dBA and a minimum of 50dBA!!!! I reckon you would be changing that very soon. And 50dBA for a speed of 1700RPM indicates a very inefficient fan. Unless I missed it, I could not see any CFM figures to go with that ridiculous noise. I doubt you would get anyone to recommend that here?

It looks awful too IMO :O

What for me was very telling about that review, is the fact that in the lineup were none of the universally accepted market leaders, which tells me it's only just OK. If you want (IMO) the best air cooling performance, get a TRUE, lapp it and fit 2 efficient fans in 'push pull' config (ie one fan pushes air in, the other draws it away). Set that up right and you will struggle to beat it without going liquid.

This is a good thread http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...c=80908&hl=

And just a final note, when you get into the league of the 3 HSF's I have recommended and the TRUE especially, you are really not going to better them. At that end of the market they are all exceptional products and the differences are little more than 1~2 degrees. The only way to go then is to lapp the CPU and HS and change the fans or water cool. All these gimicky other ones are trying to catch your eye with other things, as they can't beat the top models. If you have not seen them mentioned in this forum, chances are they are only average performers. Just use the search facility. :)

I like thermaltakes no crazy looking thing i'm not sure what it's called though.

saw one at work its kinda looks like a big drill thing.

but yeah i like the way it looks.

The TRUE is definitely the best HSF out there right now. Im currently using a Thermaltake V1 which is i have to admit an excellent cooler as well. Even at high fan speed it hardly makes any noise and it keeps my heavily ocd E2140 at 37-39C idle and max 52 under full load. Even after running p95 for several hours the temp doesnt cross the 60c mark. So i'l recomend that also.