Is Far Cry 2 A Good Game?

ir_cow

Far Cry 2  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is Far Cry 2 a good good?

• No, it's just GTA in the Jungle done poorly
    • No, its nothing like GTA but still sucks
    • Yes, This games amazing and im glad i wasted..err happly spent $ on this
    • I don't care beacuse either i haven't played it or want to.
    • I think you're .... HBC for making this poll!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this game, its Stalker on steroids. This game is more like Stalker than GTA. Meleeing enemies is so fun. Take out an outpost without a single shot fired.

I think I ran into the Jackal on my last mission. I was getting shot by a super sneaky sniper, I couldn't find. Finished the mission and thought I could just igrone the sniper. I jumped in a boat. Heard an RPG shoot, saw the rocket and exploded. I think it was the Jackal, none of the regular enemies use RPGs and that was my first time seeing one being shot at me.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/10/24...station-3-mod/1

f15.jpg

Edited by Krazyxazn

no ones used a RPG on me yet but i do tend to have snipers that are shooting at me miles away and i can't see them.

edit: i also added another answer and i'm sure it will be picked the most. haha

So far I say it's mediocre. It is VERY GTA'ish. I don't like how you have to accept missions and claim rewards and all that crap. I liked the storyline of Far Cry better.

It's funny how everyone thinks that GTA invented the "Accept mission then return to npc accept award" style of gameplay even though I have yet to return to a single NPC to ever accept a reward. So far I have always been paid up front. I've said it before and I'll say it again, FC2 and GTA are two different animals. Elephant to Zebra. Lobster to Clam. Clint Eastwood to John Wayne. Other than the mission setup, please explain to me how FC2 is like GTA. I am very interested in hearing this.

I enjoy the game but that's my opinion, of course. Is it a good game? Yes, undeniably. Well made, easy to get into, different angles of approach for missions, etc. Will it appeal to everyone? Of course not but that doesn't make it any less of a good game compared to some of the junk out there.

Its fun, but I wouldn't call it amazing, graphics and physics wise, it was a slight disapointment.

I can't choose any of the options, none fit.

Edited by Ste

I finally got into multiplayer, then the trouble begins. Had to manually update punkbuster as always.

The game uses the auto search engine like in console games, which annoys the hell out of me. Takes forever to get into a lobby. That's right a lobby, not even in an actually game just yet. You have to wait for all the afkers to hit ready, which rarely ever happens. You get some random joe clicking vote to skip map. The game waits for all the afkers to give their answer. Then everyone hits ready, then everyone gets DISCONNECTED. Couldn't get into a single game for 30 minutes.

I seriously hope game developers stop using this annoying auto search engine from consoles on PC version of games. I like my list of servers than some annoying autosearch that takes even longer to get into a game.

It's funny how everyone thinks that GTA invented the "Accept mission then return to npc accept award" style of gameplay even though I have yet to return to a single NPC to ever accept a reward.

The whole system of "meeting people" and buying guns. Driving halfway across the world to get to a small thing, and killing the "gang" to complete the mission. It just feels like GTA. I was a fan of the original Far Cry gameplay. I wish they would've kept that but transitioned it over to Africa with the better graphics.

I finally got into multiplayer, then the trouble begins. Had to manually update punkbuster as always.

The game uses the auto search engine like in console games, which annoys the hell out of me. Takes forever to get into a lobby. That's right a lobby, not even in an actually game just yet. You have to wait for all the afkers to hit ready, which rarely ever happens. You get some random joe clicking vote to skip map. The game waits for all the afkers to give their answer. Then everyone hits ready, then everyone gets DISCONNECTED. Couldn't get into a single game for 30 minutes.

I seriously hope game developers stop using this annoying auto search engine from consoles on PC version of games. I like my list of servers than some annoying autosearch that takes even longer to get into a game.

The only other game Ive played that has used this on the PC is FlatOut2. Thats probably the worst system of finding a multiplayer game for all of the reasons you listed. Even an option "Join most populous server with open spots" would be better.

The whole system of "meeting people" and buying guns. Driving halfway across the world to get to a small thing, and killing the "gang" to complete the mission. It just feels like GTA. I was a fan of the original Far Cry gameplay. I wish they would've kept that but transitioned it over to Africa with the better graphics.

Red: An element in RPG's since the dawn of RPG's.

Yellow: Also an element of RPG's since the dawn of RPG's.

I'll agree that the constant driving does feel like GTA but then one could say that any game that requires large amounts of travel feels like GTA. I still really can't see how the GTA comparison comes about. Third-person versus first. Fully accessible map versus unlocked areas. Urban gang warfare to Rural Guerrilla warfacre. Well I guess in both games none of your allies are good for anything besides being meat shields. :lol:

I will also agree that FC1's gameplay was better(for the type of game FC1 was) in the sense that it was considerably more fast-paced but given the sort of realism that FC2 is going for, I don't think transitioning that system over would have been very wise. One of the big selling points of FC2 is the huge map. Realistically speaking, there won't be 6,000 baddies per square kilometer as in other FPS games. A few guard posts here and there with some patrol units scattered about. IMO that setup works for Far Cry 2 since it was aiming for that sort of "Hey, something like this could actually be happening somewhere in the world right now" feel. Sure there might be less rocket launchers involved IRL but the base of the game is entirely plausible. If you want more of the original then check out the xbox games based around it although I was disappointed by them.

Far Cry 2 is aiming to be a huge, open-ended(as open-ended as any game with a story can be, really) FPS. In that respect I think it succeeded. It is the only FPS of it's type out so far so there really is no valid game for it to be compared to.